Stored Procedure Problem

• I have a stored procedure which accepts three parameters, the first and the last parameter being a date , and the second parameter being a string. Now the problem is the value which i want to pass as the second parameter. i have a variable where i am storing this value, the data will be something of this format

strdata = "'a','b','c','d'"

i call my stored procedure as

execute procname datevar1, strdata, datevar2

the second parameter of my stored procedure takes a list of item codes seperated by comma. Now if i have selected only one item and pass it to the stored procedure, the procedure works fine. but if i pass two parameters it does not affect any records in the database, where it is suppose to do.

I am pasting a part of the code of the stored procedure to explain more clearly. This code works fine if i run it through Query analyzer but does not work in Stored Procedure (when i have more than one value passed as the second parameter to the stored procedure).

insert into TableName(Ldate, itemid, particulars, ref,ref2,qty)

Select @vsdate, itemid, 'Particulars', '','', stock from TableName2 where itemid in ( @itemids )

Can anyone suggest where the problem might be?

Edited by - agarwalshailesh on 09/12/2003 11:49:28 PM

• hi,

i think the problems is that the itemid in ( @itemids ) bit of the query is being resolved as ''a','b','c','d''.

a way around this would be to generate the select dynamically :-

exec('select * from TableName2 where itemid in (' + @itemids + ')')

this (hopefully) should expand @itemids in the way that you want

HTH

Paul

• Exactly. Unfortuneately it forces you into dynamic sql, with the associated perf hit and security consequences. One alternative (which may give you ideas about how to do the same thing a different way) is to pass your string in as an XML doc, then use OPENXML, so the in becomes a join instead (SQL2K only).

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply