Stored procedure help

• I need to know how to write stored procedure for updating column in my table.

I need to search for string value from columnA and need to update this in Column B. My table countains 120,000 rows.

Table Columns

machine_id, firmwarerevision, pnpdeviceid0

Criteria

If column firmwarerevision is NULL or empty, extract firewarerevison value from deviceID, and update column deviceID

Script Logic I'm using to determine the value for firmwarerevision

declare @document varchar(256);

declare @pos1 int;

declare @pos2 int;

declare @len int;

declare @doc1 varchar(256);

declare @firmware varchar(50);

select @document = pnpdeviceid0 from customstorageinfo WHERE firmwarerevison is null

set @len = LEN(@document)

set @pos1 = CHARINDEX('REV_',@document)

set @doc1 = SUBSTRING(@document, @pos1, @len)

print @document

print @doc1

set @pos2 = CHARINDEX('&',@doc1)

set @firmware = SUBSTRING(@doc1, 5, @pos2 - 5)

For this to work do I need to use CURSOR, or can this be done another way.

thx for the help

• does the select statement i'm providing produce the list of items that would need to be updated;

you didn't mention the actual table naem to be updated...you'll need to change that.

it looks like oyu could do a single pass UPDATE FROM, but without the acutal table structures and sample data, i'm just guessing.

SELECT

SUBSTRING(customstorageinfo.pnpdeviceid0, CHARINDEX('REV_',customstorageinfo.pnpdeviceid0)+4,256)

AS NEWVALUE,

* FROM SomeTable,customstorageinfo

WHERE SomeTable.pnpdeviceid0 = SUBSTRING(customstorageinfo.pnpdeviceid0, CHARINDEX('REV_',customstorageinfo.pnpdeviceid0)+ 4,256)

AND (SomeTable.firmwarerevision is NULL

OR SomeTable..firmwarerevision = '')

/*

maybe the update

UPDATE SomeTable

SomeTable.firmwarerevision =

From customstorageinfo

WHERE SomeTable.pnpdeviceid0 = SUBSTRING(customstorageinfo.pnpdeviceid0, CHARINDEX('REV_',customstorageinfo.pnpdeviceid0)+4,256)

AND (SomeTable.firmwarerevision is NULL

OR SomeTable.firmwarerevision = '')

*/

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Hi Lowell,

The data/column I need to update with the new value is actually in the same table "CustomerStorageInfo"

I need to do double string function to get the firmwarerevision value

Example data: SCSIDISK&VEN_HITACHI&PROD_HTS725016A9A364&REV_PCBO4&3938C3D8&0&000

Lookup1: Search for REV_ using the full string, create new string (Temp Value) ==> PCBO4&3938C3D8&0&000

Lookup2: Search for '&' using string PCBO4&3938C3D8&0&000

Output: PCBO4

Any idea how to construct this in SELECT Statement, you provided already.

Thx for your help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply