stored procedure help

• Hi,

I have a stored procedure that isn't working how I want it to. The stored procedure is as follows:

ALTER procedure [dbo].[usp_WBSSelectedTEST]

@ProjectID int,

@RiskID int

AS

set nocount on

SELECT vWBSAvailable.WBSSubsetID, vWBSAvailable.[Change : WBS : WBSSubset], vWBSEntered.RiskID, vWBSEntered.WBSSubsetID

FROM vWBSAvailable LEFT OUTER JOIN

vWBSEntered ON vWBSAvailable.WBSSubsetID = vWBSEntered.WBSSubsetID

WHERE (vWBSEntered.RiskID = @RiskID) AND (vWBSEntered.ProjectID = @ProjectID)

set nocount off

The view vWBSAvailable looks like:

ALTER VIEW [dbo].[vWBSAvailable]

AS

SELECT TOP (100) PERCENT dbo.vWBSSubset.WBSSubsetID, dbo.tlbWBS.WBS, dbo.tlbWBS.WBSDescription,

'Change - ' + CAST(dbo.tlbChange.Change AS varchar(5)) + ' : ' + CAST(dbo.tlbWBS.WBS AS varchar(5))

+ ' - ' + dbo.tlbWBS.WBSDescription + ' : ' + CAST(dbo.vWBSSubset.WBSSubset AS varchar(5))

+ ' - ' + dbo.vWBSSubset.WBSSubsetDescription AS 'Change : WBS : WBSSubset', dbo.tlbChange.ProjectID

FROM dbo.tlbWBS INNER JOIN

dbo.tlbChange ON dbo.tlbWBS.ChangeID = dbo.tlbChange.ChangeID INNER JOIN

dbo.vWBSSubset ON dbo.tlbWBS.WBSID = dbo.vWBSSubset.WBSID

ORDER BY dbo.tlbChange.Change, dbo.tlbWBS.WBS, dbo.vWBSSubset.WBSSubset,

dbo.tlbWBS.WBSDescription, dbo.vWBSSubset.WBSSubsetDescription

The view vWBSEntered looks like:

ALTER VIEW [dbo].[vWBSEntered]

AS

SELECT RiskWBSSubID, RiskID, WBS, WBSSubsetID, section, WBSName, WBSNumber, ProjectID

FROM dbo.RiskWBSSubTest

The vWBSSubset is really important to see here. If you wish to know the data types for the different fields, please ask.

Basically, in Access, I have two list boxes. One list box displays all the available WBS Subset's for the given project, and the other displays all the WBS Subset's for the given risk (the views aren't the recordsource for the list boxes). At the moment, I have it so that you double click an item in the first list box, and it appears in the second list box (also being entered into the table RiskWBSSub), and if you double click an item in the second list box, it disappears from the list box and is deleted from the table RiskWBSSub. What I would like is when the item is double clicked in the first list box, it disappears from that list box (so the first list box only shows the available WBS Subset's for the given project and risk). The stored procedure usp_WBSSelectedTEST is how I intend to do this with.

Here are all the WBS Subset's that are pulled from vWBSAvailable for ProjectID of 10:

WBS Subset

322, 323, 512, 2766, 840, 344, 435, 511, 1184, 1223, 2092

Here are all the WBS Subset's that are pulled from vWBSEntered for RiskID of 284:

WBS Subset

322, 323, 512, 840

So basically, the stored procedure should bring back only the WBS Subsets:

2766, 344, 435, 511, 1184, 1223, 2092

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Andrew

• Since you're adding the value to a table when you double-click it, you could have the query for the list box have a "where not in" and select values from that table. That would remove it from the first list.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks.

I have tried doing that, but at the moment it doesn't return any records. Here is what I have now:

SELECT dbo.vWBSAvailable.WBSSubsetID, dbo.vWBSAvailable.[Change : WBS : WBSSubset]

FROM dbo.vWBSAvailable

WHERE dbo.vWBSAvailable.ProjectID = @ProjectID AND NOT EXISTS

(SELECT dbo.vWBSEntered.RiskID, dbo.vWBSEntered.WBSSubsetID

FROM dbo.vWBSEntered WHERE dbo.vWBSEntered.RiskID = @RiskID AND dbo.vWBSEntered.ProjectID = @ProjectID

AND dbo.vWBSEntered.WBSSubsetID <> dbo.vWBSAvailable.WBSSubsetID)

Anyone know where I have gone wrong?

• No matter, fixed it. It was returning no records as I was checking that the WBSSubsetID didn't equal in the not exists, whereas I should of been checking they do equal in the not exists. So here is what it looks like now:

SELECT dbo.vWBSAvailable.WBSSubsetID, dbo.vWBSAvailable.[Change : WBS : WBSSubset]

FROM dbo.vWBSAvailable

WHERE dbo.vWBSAvailable.ProjectID = @ProjectID AND NOT EXISTS

(SELECT dbo.vWBSEntered.RiskID, dbo.vWBSEntered.WBSSubsetID

FROM dbo.vWBSEntered WHERE dbo.vWBSEntered.RiskID = @RiskID AND dbo.vWBSEntered.ProjectID = @ProjectID AND

dbo.vWBSEntered.WBSSubsetID = dbo.vWBSAvailable.WBSSubsetID)

• Does that get you what you need, or is it still not quite right?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thats solved it, thanks GSquared.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply