Stored proc Logging

• I have 7 stored procs, their execution time varies from 5sec to 40sec. Actually 1 stored proc calls the other 6 procs in it. So, is there any method to log these 7 stored proc timings?? these are being called from an application. I want to log their execution timings to a table....is it possible?? Pls advise me...

Thank you

• Are you running it stand alone in testing? You could just add select getdate() before each call. Or you could add some inserts into a table before each call that adds timing information.

• hmm yeah....may be I will try this....Thank you

• This will not log the results to a table, but in a test environment you could manually determine the running time by using SSMS and running a series of tests

set statistics time on;

-- test using each of the 6 called procedures by properly invoking that single calling procedure

EXEC yourmaincallingproc,

set statistics time off;

This will produce time information for each test in the messages tab of SSMS:

SQL Server Execution Times:

CPU time = 5 ms, elapsed time = 2108 ms.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• this is not for the test environment.....for production...testing everything was fine...but in production, somethimes they take long to finish execution...so may be I will log to a table with getdate()

• You could also fire it with and have it show the actual execution plan, that might give you some insight as well.

• Sure, you can use SQL Profiler to log the durations on the stored procs. Use RPC:Completed or SP:completed event and check the duration there.

thanks

SQL_EXPAT

• ssismaddy (3/9/2009)

I have 7 stored procs, their execution time varies from 5sec to 40sec. Actually 1 stored proc calls the other 6 procs in it. So, is there any method to log these 7 stored proc timings?? these are being called from an application. I want to log their execution timings to a table....is it possible?? Pls advise me...

Thank you

Hi.

If you use SQL Agent to run a scheduled job for the top sp, you can ask the scheduler to create a log file. (See under STEP, Advanced).

In my "top" SP, I have these PRINT commands that will appear in the LOG file created by the scheduled job.

HTH

PRINT '----------- FINISHED 1.3: ETL_YYY: ' + ' ----------- @ ' + convert(varchar(19), getdate(),120) + ' --------------------------------------------'

EXEC dbo.usp_DW_AuditLogAdd 4, 1, 'ETL_XXX'

PRINT '----------- FINISHED 1: fmr ETL_Main : ' + ' ----------- @ ' + convert(varchar(19), getdate(),120) + ' --------------------------------------------'

PRINT '----------- START 2: ETL_OrderLineFiles : ' + ' ----------- @ ' + convert(varchar(19), getdate(),120) + ' --------------------------------------------'

• ssismaddy (3/9/2009)

I have 7 stored procs, --I want to log their execution timings to a table....is it possible?? Pls advise me...

Thank you

To write to a table, you may create a sp that does logging into an audit table. This has a field called "TimeStmp" with a constraint - default of getdate().

Use the sp before/after each of the 6 "steps" to record timing and a description as

EXEC dbo.usp_DW_AuditLogAdd 1, 2, 'ETL_XXX'

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[usp_DW_AuditLogAdd]

(

@i_intJobIDINT

,@i_intStepIDINT

,@i_varDescvarchar(30)

)

AS

------------------------------------------------------------------------BEGIN

INSERT INTO dbo.admin_JobAudit

(

JobID, StepID, Step

)

VALUES

(

@i_intJobID

,@i_intStepID

,@i_varDesc

)

END --proc

• ssismaddy

So, is there any method to log these 7 stored proc timings??

I am going to assume that you are attempting to determine the long running instances of those multiple SPs and then attempt to improve that performance - in other words do some Performance Tuning. If indeed this is your ultimate goal may I suggest that you evaluate what Performance tuning tools are available in Books On Line - starting with

SQL Server 2005 Books Online (November 2008)

Tools for Performance Monitoring and Tuning

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179428(SQL.90).aspx

and / or

Monitoring Events

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190378(SQL.90).aspx

plus

SQL Server 2005 Tools and Utilities Reference Overview

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173764(SQL.90).aspx

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply