STORED PROC - Amending the 'WHERE' Clause Based on a Passed Parameter

• Hi all,

What is the best way to amend the WHERE clause based on a passed parameter in a stored procedure?

I've tried to show a simple example to explain what I'm after, and hopefully these three SQL statements might help make it clear. In the following example, I'd like a parameter to be passed to the stored procedure, where if its value is 1 it returns 'All', if 2 it returns those where the country is 'USA', and if 3 it returns where the country is 'UK'.

Parameter = 1

SELECTS.SALESPERSON,

S.COUNTRY,

S.SALES

FROMMONTHLY_SALES AS S

WHERES.SALES > 100

Parameter = 2

SELECTS.SALESPERSON,

S.COUNTRY,

S.SALES

FROMMONTHLY_SALES AS S

WHERES.SALES > 100

AND

S.COUNTRY = 'USA'

Parameter = 3

SELECTS.SALESPERSON,

S.COUNTRY,

S.SALES

FROMMONTHLY_SALES AS S

WHERES.SALES > 100

AND

S.COUNTRY = 'UK'

I've a serious personal 'thing' about maintainability (I come from a VB procedural background), so I can see that a change to main body of the SQL (that which is before the 'AND...' in the WHERE clause of the last two examples) would have to be applied in three places. That gets me a bit annoyed - and if I'm honest a bit embarrassed about the work I'd potentially produce - as because I'm only human I run the real risk of applying any changes in two places but not the third. Also, anyone supporting my work would have to deal with the same issues, and with my name in the procedure's comment you can understand why it feels important to me on a personal level for it to be 'correct'. 🙂

The SQL I'm dealing with is a lot more complex than the examples I've given (and isn't related to sales), but I thought they would help make my question more understandable. I considered 'Table-Valued' functions and applying the criteria after they were called, but I was concerned that that would be trading off a possible gain in maintainability against an increase in complexity and a loss of performance as the parameter would also have to be passed to the function.

So, what I ideally want is to be able to just maintain the bulk of the SQL in one place, and to amend the WHERE clause dynamically based on a passed parameter.

I'm sure it's a simple principle that I've not yet learnt (and I'm not ashamed to admit I'm still learning) but I think it's an important one I definitely need to know. Just think... one day, one of you could find yourself potentially having to maintain my stored procedures, and if that day comes, you're going to be seriously grateful for any advice you gave me... 😀

Cheers,

RF

MAXIM 106:
    "To know things well, we must know the details; and as they are almost infinite, our knowledge is always superficial and imperfect."
    Francois De La Rochefoucauld (1613-1680)

• Based on the information you've provided, I would suggest splitting the statement into two parts. The one part for cases when you want to return all countries and the other for limiting the countries you want to return. The reason I would do this is so that SQL Server can cache a separate execution plan for the two conditions. For instance:

declare @n_parameterIn int --this would be a parameter in your stored proc

declare @vc_country char(5) --this would be declared within the body of your proc

select @vc_country = case @n_parameterIn --this logic could be used to look up these values

when 2 then 'USA' --from a table rather than hard-coding in the proc,

when 3 then 'UK' end --which would make it easier to add countries later

--(that would be done better via a join than this)

if @n_parameterIn = 1--here we are looking for data regardless of country code

begin

SELECT S.SALESPERSON,

S.COUNTRY,

S.SALES

FROM MONTHLY_SALES AS S

WHERE S.SALES > 100

end

else--here we are looking for a subset of the data based on the country code

begin

SELECT S.SALESPERSON,

S.COUNTRY,

S.SALES

FROM MONTHLY_SALES AS S

WHERE S.SALES > 100

AND S.COUNTY = @vc_country

end

Now, you can get the same data returned in this fashion:

SELECT S.SALESPERSON,

S.COUNTRY,

S.SALES

FROM MONTHLY_SALES AS S

WHERE S.SALES > 100

AND ((@n_parameterIn <> 1 AND S.COUNTY = @vc_country)

OR @n_parameterIn = 1)

However, if you do this, SQL Server will cache one plan and it will use that same plan regardless of whether or not you're only looking for a particular country.

*edit formatting

└> bt

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Hi bteraberry,

Firstly, thanks so much for the prompt reply. 🙂

Secondly, I love the fact that you expanded on the example I gave. with a lookup table to handle the possibilty of options being added in the future. Too many people (especially in the reality of the workplace) focus on the immediate problem, but it's rarer that someone looks at a problem and says "but what about next week/month/year?", so all kudos to you.

Unfortunately, in my real-world case there will only ever be three possible values for the parameter: (in the example 'All', 'US'or 'UK'), so the lookup table would be pretty much redundant (think 'Null', 'True', 'False'), but your argument for it is correct based on my example.

What you've posted helps me to rationalise my code in a big way and that's the kind of advice I wanted, so thanks! I can at least halve my code from your advice in less than an hour's work. In the long-term that time counts in a big way, especially if someone has to support it.

Oh, and I've learnt a thing or two, which I think is one of the main puposes of this site... 🙂

Cheers (and thanks for the advice!),

RF

MAXIM 106:
    "To know things well, we must know the details; and as they are almost infinite, our knowledge is always superficial and imperfect."

• Please have a look this before you go ahead.

http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2009/09/15/multiple-execution-paths/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hope this helps...

declare @stmt nvarchar(max)

declare @whrcls nvarchar (max)

declare @param int

set @param=1

set @whrcls=''

set @stmt = 'SELECT SALESPERSON,

COUNTRY,

SALES

FROM MONTHLY_SALES WHERE SALES > 100'

if (@param=2)

set @whrcls=@whrcls + 'AND COUNTRY ='+ cast ('USA' as varchar) + ''

if (@param=3)

set @whrcls=@whrcls + 'AND COUNTRY ='+ cast ('UK' as varchar) + ''

set @stmt=@stmt+@whrcls

exec (@stmt)

Cheers

• Might I suggest:

declare @Country varchar(50)

set @Country = CASE @Parameter WHEN 1 THEN '%'

WHEN 2 THEN 'USA'

WHEN 3 THEN 'UK'

END

SELECT S.SALESPERSON,

S.COUNTRY,

S.SALES

FROM MONTHLY_SALES AS S

WHERE S.SALES > 100

AND S.COUNTRY LIKE @Country

When you pass in 1, then @Country is set to '%'.

When you pass in 2, then it's set to USA.

When you pass in 3, then it's set to UK.

The query uses a LIKE operator on the country column, so:

if 1 was passed in, the country is compared to a %, and everything passes.

if 2 or 3 is passed in, the country is compared to either USA or UK. Without any wildcards in the search, it's performing an equals. Uses an index very nicely.

I'm surprised that Gail didn't refer you to this other blog as well: Catch-All-Queries[/url]

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• And a way that would get rid of parameter sniffing would be:

CREATE PROC MainAll

AS

SELECT S.SALESPERSON,

S.COUNTRY,

S.SALES

FROM MONTHLY_SALES AS S

WHERE S.SALES > 100

GO

CREATE PROC MainCountry (@Country varchar(3))

AS

SELECT S.SALESPERSON,

S.COUNTRY,

S.SALES

FROM MONTHLY_SALES AS S

WHERE S.SALES > 100

AND S.COUNTRY = @Country

GO

CREATE PROC Main (@Parameter1 tinyint)

AS

if @Parameter = 1 execute MainAll

else if @Parameter = 2 execute MainCountry 'USA'

else if @Parameter = 3 execute MainCounry 'UK'

GO

Edit: added missing quote

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• ankur_dba (6/26/2010)

Hope this helps...

declare @stmt nvarchar(max)

declare @whrcls nvarchar (max)

declare @param int

set @param=1

set @whrcls=''

set @stmt = 'SELECT SALESPERSON,

COUNTRY,

SALES

FROM MONTHLY_SALES WHERE SALES > 100'

if (@param=2)

set @whrcls=@whrcls + 'AND COUNTRY ='+ cast ('USA' as varchar) + ''

if (@param=3)

set @whrcls=@whrcls + 'AND COUNTRY ='+ cast ('UK' as varchar) + ''

set @stmt=@stmt+@whrcls

exec (@stmt)

I don't see dynamic SQL as being necessary for this, but if you do need to use dynamic SQL, NEVER use 'exec' ... use 'sp_executesql' instead.

└> bt

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. There's a lot to keep me entertained and I'm enjoying working my way through Gail's blog.

I really like Wayne's wildcard solution for it's absolute pure simplicity. I've honestly never considered intentionally using a single wildcard to return all records (I only tend to use wildcards when filtering data).

Anyway, thanks again all.

Cheers,

RF

MAXIM 106:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply