status suspended on command Killed/RolleBack

• I was running a stored procedure it was suspended for about 11 hours so I decided to kill it now its in Killed/Rollback stage for 12 hours and when check the status of roll back it says "Estimated rollback completion: 0%. Estimated time remaining: 0 seconds." its using up CPUTIME 380000 and DiskIO 970000. How to do I stop this completely

• smoham22 (3/4/2015)

I was running a stored procedure it was suspended for about 11 hours so I decided to kill it now its in Killed/Rollback stage for 12 hours and when check the status of roll back it says "Estimated rollback completion: 0%. Estimated time remaining: 0 seconds." its using up CPUTIME 380000 and DiskIO 970000. How to do I stop this completely

If it's rolling back, it's rolling back, there is not much you can do. Even if you reboot SQL server and if there are uncommitted transactions, the SQL server itself will initiate the rollback again.

Run this

SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ UNCOMMITTED

SELECT

DB_NAME(er.[database_id]) [DatabaseName]

,er.[session_id] AS [SessionID]

,er.[command] AS [CommandType]

,est.[text] [StatementText]

,er.[status] AS [Status]

,CONVERT(DECIMAL(5, 2), er.[percent_complete]) AS [Complete_Percent]

,CONVERT(DECIMAL(38, 2), er.[total_elapsed_time] / 60000.00) AS [ElapsedTime_m]

,CONVERT(DECIMAL(38, 2), er.[estimated_completion_time] / 60000.00) AS [EstimatedCompletionTime_m]

,er.[last_wait_type] [LastWait]

,er.[wait_resource] [CurrentWait]

FROM sys.dm_exec_requests AS er

INNER JOIN sys.dm_exec_sessions AS es ON er.[session_id] = es.[session_id]

CROSS APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(er.[sql_handle]) est

It gives you a ballpark number of how much still remains.

• The 0% rollbacks will never end because there's nothing to do. If the SPID isn't consuming CPU or a shedload of data, you might leave it for the next reboot. If it was because you did something that caused an external call, such as a call to xp_CmdShell, we can fix that without a reboot. The question is, what did the proc in question actually do?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Its a scrubbing job. it takes a backup from production and restores it on development server and scrubs out the sensitive data for development.

spid went away after the server got rebooted but every time i kick off the job it shows it gets suspended after the database gets restored.

• smoham22 (3/4/2015)

Its a scrubbing job. it takes a backup from production and restores it on development server and scrubs out the sensitive data for development.

spid went away after the server got rebooted but every time i kick off the job it shows it gets suspended after the database gets restored.

Sorry for the late reply. I guess we'd need to see the stored procedure to even begin to try to solve this problem (if you still have it).

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply