SSRS design queries.

• Hi there,

I'd appreciate a sanity check as I'm the sole DBA for my environment. I'm still digesting lots of SSRS info being new to it so I'm not being lazy, but sometimes it's good to talk ...

I want to install SSRS in my 2008 R2 env. Purpose is for various reports to be viewable by various end users & tech teams. Reports will not be critical or for management purposes as such. If they're unavailable for a bit it's fine.

I have Shareport 2010 and have been reading out integrated mode but for what we need, a few techy reports, it seems a bit OTT.

So I have a whole estate of databases and apps.

Lots mirrored.

Also a three node cluster for some.

1) do I need to install SSRS for each seperate instance or is there some way to run reports against mult SQL servers?

2) When installing against my clustered dbs. Is it enough to install on 1 server. If the instances moves node, SSRS will simply pick up the connect details and find it via virtual name? The few seconds disconnect while SQL is failing over is fine.

3) Is there any performance impact in installing or using SSRS? (I don't mean if you are running large, badly programmed reports - just mean in installing the service & creating & running normal reports).

Thanks for reading. Advice appreciated.

Cheers.

3)

• Some folks do it but I'd recommend not installing SSRS on a cluster. It's not cluster aware so you have to manually move enable/disable services and technically Microsoft dont support this config. I've done it in various ways (including on a cluster) but currently moving to a dedicated SSRS farm using a cluster for reporting databases.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply