SSRS 2005 -- control formatting of parameter area?

• Hey all,

I'm fairly new to SQL and SSRS and trying to learn as much as I can. I know that the order that parameters are presented in the parameter area depends upon the order they are listed in the Report Parameters dialog. Can the order and format of text, etc. in the parameter area be controlled by some other means?

Thanks,

Ron

• You can base the parameter values on a query (rather than non-queried) and use a dataset to generate the values.

Then you have the full capabilities of T-SQL at your disposal.

• I've written a slew of SSRS reports and have never had the requirement of modifying parameter formats (font size, font weight, etc.).... Without digging too deep, I would imagine that somewhere in the SSRS object model you can access parameter properties - If not, I would post on SQL Server's features request page... sounds like a valuable addition to the suite.

• you can also hard-code your parameter values if you know they will not change. for instance "yes", "no".

• I would really like to know if anyone knows how to tweak the parameters area as it is displayed to the user as well. No, I'm not talking about parameter values, but the format of the parameter area as it is displayed to the user.

I'd like the parameter prompt for my string parameter to be a larger box, for example. Currently the user types in a ton of text into the string parameter prompt, but it's weirdly formatted as it only shows a small box for such entries.

Also I'd like to be able to have a separate area (say a textbox or label) that I control that would show up in the parameter area as the user launches the report (before the user enters report parameters). This would be a chance for me to describe the report to the user in detail, and also to give them detailed instructions on what each parameter means, and what values are acceptable for each parameter, etc etc.

Does anyone have concrete instructions on how to do this?

Thanks!

• that would be writing asp.net web form, reference your SSRS asmx (=web services) where you can do whatever you wish on a client part. however, you cannot make the text box used for entering parameters larger in SSRS --it's XML behind that just renders as a text box -- see it for yourself when click 'view code'. the user interface in SSRS is very limited.

• Thanks. That's what I'm reading elsewhere too.

• This is exactly what I want to do and since I don't know any coding besides SQL, I suppose I will resort to a note in the heading of the report itself. I sincerely hope the next version of SSRS gives the report designer more control over this parameter area.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply