SSPI handshake failed...

• Hi all -

the last couple days one of my SQL Server 2008r2 has been getting hammered by messages like this:

SSPI handshake failed with error code 0x8009030c, state 14 while establishing a connection with integrated security; the connection has been closed. Reason: AcceptSecurityContext failed. The Windows error code indicates the cause of failure. [CLIENT: ipaddress].

these seem to be preceded 98% of the time by 1 of these 2:

Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication. [CLIENT: ipaddress] ipaddress]

or

Login failed for user 'domain\userID'. Reason: Token-based server access validation failed with an infrastructure error. Check for previous errors. [CLIENT: ipaddress]

these are from the windows application event logs but they identify the source as MSSQL$L. This machine has several VM's on it and each VM has at least 1 instance of SQL Server. I've spent several hours on Google but have not found anything definative. Most hits just point to installing a SP to quiet when the sate is 29.

Usually we treat these alerts as white noise, but yesterday I got the handshake fail notice every 2-5 minutes for abuot 1-1/2 hours. Restarting SQL seemed to have fixed it yesterday, but now it's back. This alert gets sent to the on-call phone which I have this week and I don't want to be up all nightfor something I just ignore.

oh, also is the area [CLIENT: ipaddress] the ip that the request is coming from?

anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

• Have you tried re-registering your spns for the sql boxes?

In addition, have you tried the steps in this article?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2006/12/02/understanding-kerberos-and-ntlm-authentication-in-sql-server-connections.aspx

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Hi Jason -

It's quiet right now and since it seems to usually be caused by login failure I doubt I'll get many notices after hours.

I will read the article. As to the re-regestering of SPNs I will break out the Google skills. I'm not a seasoned pro at this (yet) and really don't know what that means.

thanks,

Kevin

• There are some steps to resetting the SQL spns in that article.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• cool... thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply