SSMS - feature

• I also get nothing for the mouseover event. I can successfully ctrl-left click the URL, but no hint ever pops up.

• Joe Stefanelli (3/31/2010)

I also get nothing for the mouseover event. I can successfully ctrl-left click the URL, but no hint ever pops up.

If you wait long enough, it should turn into a hand. I only saw it when I went back after being told about it. It took 5 to 7 seconds on a virtual(pc) to pop up on mine... But I click much too fast to see it normally.

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems

• Peter Trast (3/31/2010)

If you wait long enough, it should turn into a hand. I only saw it when I went back after being told about it. It took 5 to 7 seconds on a virtual(pc) to pop up on mine... But I click much too fast to see it normally.

I have to hold down CTRL to get the hand. Maybe there are some SSMS/browser/OS version things going on here?

I don't care anyway - I think it was an excellent topic for the QotD...:-)

• Paul White NZ (3/31/2010)

Peter Trast (3/31/2010)

I have to hold down CTRL to get the hand. Maybe there are some SSMS/browser/OS version things going on here?

I don't care anyway - I think it was an excellent topic for the QotD...:-)

OK more interesting behavior noted (behaviour gets a mispell notation BTW so 😛 to our friends in UK... or is it only my browser in my locale?)

When I move my mouse over the hyperlink and let go of the mouse or hold it perfectly still nothing happens even when I press CTRL BUT... if I am MOVING the mouse with CTRL depressed I get the hand. AND if I stop moving the mouse while it is hovering over the link and THEN let go of CTRL, the hand icon stays until I move the mouse again. SO the mouse has to be moving to become the hand or go back to the cursor...

So all my previous notes did not represent what was actually happening. And this discovery of mine probably explains why many never saw the hand. The mouse must move!! 😀 I may have solved one of SQLServerCentral's greatest mysteries, the case of the missing hand icon...

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems

• I got nothing -- no "popup instructions", no new tab, nada. If I Ctrl-Click (like others have done), I get the new tab, but the question didn't say that.

Either the question needs to be re-worded (to make it a Ctrl-Click), or an additional response needs to be added saying "Not sure since the default behavior of SSMS is to do NOTHING, but I understand that it can be configured to do whatever you want."

Me no likey.

Thanks,
    - Joseph Marsh

• Hey, there's that squeaky whining noise again!

I wish Steve would oil whatever is causing it...

😀

• "Squeaky whining noise" ... huh?!

Thanks,
    - Joseph Marsh

• Joseph D. Marsh (4/1/2010)

"Squeaky whining noise" ... huh?!

Running joke concerning people whining about the QotD being inaccurate/unfair/...

• I read those posts, and agree that some of then are ... off-base. But it's a little unfair of you to lump all such posts together. Surely you can concede, from your high horse, the possibility that a QotD might actually be ... <gasp> poorly worded?

I deal with enough [inside jokes / running jokes / people making fun of people] in the real world. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would prefer that you keep your snarky comments to yourself.

The question was a good one. I learned about a feature that I didn't know existed. But the question was poorly worded. Period.

Thanks,
    - Joseph Marsh

• Joseph D. Marsh (4/1/2010)

The question was a good one. I learned about a feature that I didn't know existed.

Much better! Thanks.

• Fool's Reminder (to myself): if you have to say something bad / negative / contrary, don't forget to mention The Good Stuff as well. That's the "spoonful of honey that makes the medicine go down" ...

Thanks,
    - Joseph Marsh

• Joseph D. Marsh

The question was a good one. I learned about a feature that I didn't know existed. But the question was poorly worded. Period

The question:

When I hold my mouse over the /http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/ and follow the pop up instructions what happens?.

guess what - this posting is being made following questions text exactly as specified.

Now a challenge for you try rewording the question, let's see how you would have submitted same.

Or better yet why don't you try and submit a QOD and lets see how well you can phrase it.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• I agree with bitbucket. It seems that even doing a clean install of the same version of SQL Server produces different results for some people. It's probably due to an uninitialised variable somewhere in the installation, or something like that.

The important thing here is that people have learnt something they may have not known before.

So, people that didn't get the pop-up when they hovered the mouse, just accept the fact that you didn't get the 2 points this time.... and rejoice the fact that you can now embed links in your stored procedures and follow them by ctrl+clicking.

Nigel

• Here's a possibility: "(NOTE: If you put your cursor over the link and nothing happens, try holding down the CTRL key)"

Quite simple, actually.

NB: I love people who say things like "Try doing it yourself and you'll see how hard it is!", as if a) the fact that I haven't submitted a QotD makes me thoroughly un-qualified to comment, or b) "it's hard" is an exact equivalent of "it's okay to be unclear" (or the like).

My original post was ... harsh. I understand it's hard to come up with a good QotD, and to make it clear, etc. My response could've, and should've, been softer. But these responses to my post are no better. Let's all take a breath and move on to something else.

Happy Thursday everyone.

Thanks,
    - Joseph Marsh

• Hmm, I probebly have some setting different, because when I only 'click' the link nothing happens....

I need to press CTRL in order te actually click the link.

So it looks like the answer 'nothing' is a better choice (in my case 😉

- But very good idea to implement such links in the SP/SQL

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply