SSMS and SSMSE difference

• What's the difference between "SQL Server Management Studio" and "SQL Server Management Studio Express"? Is there any link to explain this?

In the company that I was recently hired, there is a SQL Server 2K5 Enterprise Edition installed on the server. Another DBA instructed me to download and install SSMSE on my computer. I am supposed to administer the SQL 2K5 and I am new in 2K5. I have worked with 2K and EM and QA for years. Question is that should I continue with SSMSE and learn it? Or use SSMS? If SSMS how can I download it? Where should I look for it?

Thanks,

• The full version of SQL Server Management Studio is bundled with all commercial versions of SQL Server 2005.  The Express edition is a free download that can be used to administer SQL Server 2005 and older.  The latter was intended for use with SQL Server Express edition.

Other than the cost involved, the two versions differ in that the commercial product includes facilities for SSIS and other advanced features.

If you intend to administer a commercial version of SQL Server, you should be using the commercial version of the client tools.  AGain, the express edition will connect, but you won't have all the tools you need.

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• Thanks Tim for the input.

I have a SQL2005 Enterprise Edition installed on my server. If I use the same disk, can install the SSMS on my local? Is it possible to install just the SSMS? Do I need a license for this installation?

Thanks,

• I've asked the same question myself, but have never received clarification.  Yes, you can install the client tools on another machine without installing SQL Server, but you might be out of compliance with the EULA if you do so.

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• The way to bypas the potential licensing issue is to get a copy of the developers edition. The reason I say potential, just installting the client tools is OK, but of you want all of the toys then it is a licensing thing.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply