SSMS 2008 - Shows Service Status as Stopped Though Service is started

• Hi,

I have a SQL Server 2008 - Active/Passive Cluster. The issue I am facing here is that, when I do a Failover from Node A to Node B, All the Cluster Services come online and the SQL Services are running (checked using the SQL Configuration Manager and Services console). However when I open the management studio, The Service status Indicator shows a Red Block mark against the ServerName and the SQL Server Agent.

When I try connecting to the server remotely from another server, the status is displayed correctly in the SSMS(i.e the green sign with the arrow) . This issue happens when I locally login to the server and connect using ssms.The icon I see beside the ServerName is a Red Circle with a Square within it , and beside the agent - A red Icon with a cross (x) mark within it.

I am an Admin on both the boxes and even the service account with which the services run also has admin privileges.

Any pointers?

Thanks,

• When you connect locally, are you putting in the virtual name, the local name or "(local)"

• Hi,

I put in the Virtual ServerName when trying to connect.

Thanks,

Deepti

• Hope you have tried rebooting both the nodes.

Is sqlcmd working for you from the box?

• I did reboot the node , but the Management Studio displays the same status against the server name( Red mark near the servername). Its just that the status is being shown incorrect against the server name, but I can connect to the server , access the databases and do the other tasks.

When I try connecting to the server from the other node or any other server, the status against the servername in SSMS is displayed correctly ( shows the green sign with arrow). The issue is with SSMS in this one server. Is there a way to fix it ?

I did ran the Repair for the tools from the setup, that dint fix the issue either. The SQl configuration manager and the services (in services.msc) display the correct status

Thanks,

• Any update on this? I am now recently having this exact issue.

• If I understand what you are saying correctly, you just need to "refresh" the view in ssms.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply