SSIS - T-SQL: Same query different results

• Hi,

I'm not sure if I should post this under SSIS or T-SQL, so, if a mod decides the other forum is better then please feel free to move this post.

I am having trouble with the t-sql code below. It is running in a SSIS package, if I copy and paste this code into SSMS (from SSIS) then I get different results inserted into the cns_bestnumberexportarchive table. Executing the code in SSMS will insert the correct number of records which is much lower than when it is executed by SSIS.

Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening.

DECLARE @ATTEMPTS INT

--

--

SELECT @ATTEMPTS = CONVERT(INT, cDATA)

FROM cns_SYSConfig

WHERE cVARIABLE = 'NumberAttempts'

--

--

DECLARE @MAXBNADATE DATETIME

SELECT @MAXBNADATE = MAX(DateInserted) FROM cns_BestNumberArchive

--

--

DECLARE @DTS DATETIME

SET @DTS = @MAXBNADATE

--

--

PRINT '@DTS = ' + convert(varchar(20), @DTS)

PRINT '@MAXBNADATE = ' + convert(varchar(20), @maxbnadate)

--

--

IF OBJECT_ID('TEMPDB..#NUMBERDETAILS') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #NUMBERDETAILS

--

--

--

SELECT *

INTO #NUMBERDETAILS

FROM (

SELECT DISTINCT

ND.ID10,

ND.PhoneNum,

ND.PhoneNumType,

ND.OriginalSource,

ND.SourceId

FROM cns_NumberDetail ND

INNER JOIN cns_BestNumberArchive BNA ON ND.ID10 = BNA.ID10

AND ND.PhoneNum = BNA.WORK

AND ND.PhoneNumType = 1

WHERE BNA.DateInserted = @MAXBNADATE

UNION ALL

SELECT DISTINCT

ND.ID10,

ND.PhoneNum,

ND.PhoneNumType,

ND.OriginalSource,

ND.SourceId

FROM cns_NumberDetail ND

AND ND.PhoneNum = BNA.CELL

AND ND.PhoneNumType = 2

UNION ALL

SELECT DISTINCT

ND.ID10,

ND.PhoneNum,

ND.PhoneNumType,

ND.OriginalSource,

ND.SourceId

FROM cns_NumberDetail ND

AND ND.PhoneNum = BNA.HOME

AND ND.PhoneNumType = 3

) A

--

--

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX CIS ON #NUMBERDETAILS

(

ID10 ASC,

PHONENUMTYPE ASC,

PHONENUM ASC

)WITH (SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ONLINE = OFF) ON [PRIMARY]

--

--

IF OBJECT_ID('TEMPDB..#DMCIS') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #DMCIS

--

--

SELECT DISTINCT

CONVERT(BIGINT, CIS) [CIS]

INTO #DMCIS

FROM (

SELECT DISTINCT

CIS

FROM cns_DiallerImportArchive

WHERE DataSourceID = 8

AND Valid = 1

AND CONVERT(DATETIME,CONVERT(VARCHAR,DateInserted,111)) = (

SELECT CONVERT(DATETIME,CONVERT(VARCHAR,MAX(DateInserted),111))

WHERE DataSourceID = 8

)

UNION

SELECT DISTINCT

CIS

WHERE DataSourceID = 11

AND Valid = 1

AND CONVERT(DATETIME,CONVERT(VARCHAR,DateInserted,111)) = (

SELECT CONVERT(DATETIME,CONVERT(VARCHAR,MAX(DateInserted),111))

WHERE DataSourceID = 11

)

) A

--

--

IF OBJECT_ID('TEMPDB..#PRODCOUNT') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #PRODCOUNT;

WITH CTE_PROD AS (

SELECT

A.CIS,

C.DESCRIPTION,

COUNT(1)VOL

FROM #DMCIS A

LEFT JOIN (SELECT AccountNumber, AccountType, CIS FROM cns_AccountDetails WHERE InCollections = 1 AND AccountType IN (1,2,3)) B ON A.CIS = B.CIS

LEFT JOIN cns_AccountType C ON C.AccountTypeID = B.AccountType

GROUP BY A.CIS, C.DESCRIPTION

)

SELECT

CIS,

ISNULL(CA,0)CA,

ISNULL(SA,0)SA,

ISNULL(HL,0)HL

INTO #PRODCOUNT

FROM CTE_PROD

PIVOT (

SUM(VOL) FOR DESCRIPTION IN ([CA], [SA], [HL])

) AS A

--

--

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX CIS ON #PRODCOUNT

(

CIS ASC

)WITH (SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ONLINE = OFF) ON [PRIMARY]

--

--

IF OBJECT_ID('TEMPDB..#PREVBESTNUM') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #PREVBESTNUM

--

--

SELECT A.*

INTO #PREVBESTNUM

FROM cns_BestNumberExportArchive A

INNER JOIN #DMCIS B ON A.CIS = B.CIS

INNER JOIN (SELECT CIS, MAX(DATESENT)[DATESENT] FROM cns_BestNumberExportArchive WHERE SYSTEMID = 1 GROUP BY CIS) C

ON A.CIS = C.CIS AND A.DATESENT = C.DATESENT

WHERE A.SYSTEMID = 1

--

--

print 'dm prevbestnum insert above'

--INSERT THE NEW(NOT PREVIOUSLY SENT) DATA INTO THE ARCHIVE TABLE

--

--

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX CIS ON #PREVBESTNUM

(

CIS ASC,

PHONENUMTYPE ASC,

PHONENUM ASC

--

--

INSERT INTO cns_BestNumberExportArchive

SELECT DISTINCT

DateSent = @DTS,

SystemId = 1,

CIS = CIS.CIS,

PhoneNum = A.PhoneNum,

PhoneNumType = A.PhoneNumType,

SystemSourceId = A.OriginalSource,

SourceId = A.SourceId,

CA = B.CA,

SA = B.SA,

HL = B.HL,

Card = 0

FROM #DMCIS CIS

LEFT JOIN cns_BestNumberArchive BNA ON CIS.CIS = BNA.CIS

LEFT JOIN #NUMBERDETAILS A ON A.ID10 = BNA.ID10

LEFT JOIN #PRODCOUNT B ON B.CIS = BNA.CIS

LEFT JOIN #PREVBESTNUM D ON D.CIS = CIS.CIS

AND ISNULL(D.PhoneNum, 0) = ISNULL(A.PhoneNum, 0)

AND ISNULL(D.PhoneNumType, 0) = ISNULL(A.PhoneNumType, 0)

WHERE D.CIS IS NULL

--

--

print 'dm insert above'

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Struggling to find the question?
    http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/jeffs/archive/2008/05/13/question-needed-not-answer.aspx

• It's possible that this is down to the ANSI options the query is executed with. Not sure how you influence these in SSIS, but you can change them in SSMS from the Query/Query Options menu. Try running the query in SSMS with different settings for ANSI_NULLS, CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL etc and see if that makes a difference.

Can you spot anything significant about the rows inserted by one script, but not the other.

Try adding SELECT @@rowcount after each step to identify exactly where the differences are being introduced.

• Thanks for your view Ian. How would I be able to use the @@rowcount in SSIS?

I changed the SSIS package to execute the t-sql as a stored procedure. This still isn't working. Another thing I picked up is that if I run the SSIS package in Visual Studio the results are the same as if I was running the code in SSMS (in other words correct). If I export that package to the server and execute it in a job the results are incorrect. I can't understand why.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/jeffs/archive/2008/05/13/question-needed-not-answer.aspx

• This is just a shot in the dark, but are you sure you're pointing to the same server environment? I once deleted my config file for a package and my package ran anyway, picking up the test values that were in my variables.

• I'm not sure how to get at @@rowcount in SSIS (don't have an SSI environment available at the moment).

Try putting different SET statements at the top of your procedure and running it in SSMS to see if one of them will repeat the behaviour of your SSIS environment.

• Ok, I checked and the package and t-sql code is pointing to the correct environment. I think I'm going to declare a variable in the stored procedure and assign rowcounts to it. Then I'll push the values into a table and compare the differences.

Thanks for all your help. This one's gonna take a while as I have to fix a different issue on production at the moment. Will let you know of the results later.

• Okay, now I am officially stumped :blink: .

I copied the package to a different server. Created a new job and executed it. On this new server the results returned are correct, on the production server different(incorrect).

Note: I did a backup of the database on the production server and restored it on the new server. Then copied the package over, created the job in SQL Server Agent and started it.

So, my thinking is that it could be a setting or option in the setup of the production sql server. But then again I am a noob at playing DBA so I'm not sure.

Any ideas, anyone?

HHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPP

• As I hinted in my earlier posts, it sounds as though you have different ANSI settings.

In SSMS, right click the server and click properties. On the Connections page, you can set the default connection options. Are they different on the servers concerned?

• Unfortunately not. I checked both servers and the connection settings are exactly the same. All "Default Connection Options" unticked. I've also compared the remaining settings between the 2 servers and can't find any differences.

• Damn!

In one of your earlier posts, yoa said

I think I'm going to declare a variable in the stored procedure and assign rowcounts to it. Then I'll push the values into a table and compare the differences.

Did you do this?

I think the only way to get to the bottom of this is to decompose the steps, run them in the good and the bad environment and see at what point the results diverge.

• Ian, you are going to be so upset with me man!

I did do the rowcount inserts. I rolled out the change to the production environment. After the package had run I opened up the table to see the results of the rowcount inserts and the table WAS EMPTY! That threw me off totally.

Then I went and checked the job in SQL Server agent and found that the package being executed was:

[SERVERNAME1\SERVERNAME1]\csn_BESTNUMBER

when instead it should have been:

[SERVERNAME1\SERVERNAME1]\cns_BESTNUMBER

D'OH!

csn_BESTNUMBER shouldn't even be there, its a spelling error in the package name. I kept on overlooking the spelling error. I feel like such a idiot (actually had something worse there, but thought better of it)...

Sorry for wasting your time

• No worries... glad you got there in the end.:-)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply