SSIS Projects vs Packages

• In SSIS, a solution can hold multiple projects and a project can hold multiple packages. Am looking for a clear discussion of when & why you would create multiple projects w/in a solution, versus creating multiple packages w/in a single project.

I am an experienced DTS/SSIS developer, but am still unclear on this.

Can't find any discussion of this in MSDN or other online sources.

• We have a rather large data warehouse implementation here.

For the SSIS portion of the implementation, we have a few solutions - I will describe one of them (changing some names for various reasons)

[font="Courier New"]Solution: DW ETL

Project: Source 1 ETL

Package: Base Dimension Load

Package: Complex Dimension Load

Package: Fact Load

Package: Loader Loop

Project: Source 2 ETL

Package: Base Dimension Load

Package: Complex Dimension Load

Package: Fact Load

Package: Loader Loop

Project: Cube Process

Package: Cube Loop

Package: Full Process

Package: Incremental Process

Package: Synchronize Cubes

Project: Security

Package: Cube Roles[/font]

So, we can stay pretty organized. It helps split the work up by developer. It also allows our custom deployment builder (we built it) to create an SSIS folder structure based on the solution and project structure so everything does not end up in the root folder.

• SSCrazy -- Thanks, helpful. I find myself wishing you could define things like data sources at the solution level, rather than always at the project level, but it appears you group your packages, at least in part, by data source.

• I find the data sources in the projects rather useless. They just muck up the connection information you get from local configuration files when you open a project in BIDS.

As long as you use the same connection manager name, configuration files can be the same for all packages you create.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply