SSIS packages Scheduling(Sequential)

• Hi i want to schedule my packages .The scenario is that i need to schedule on a sequential basis,eg:Package A -6 am,package B-8 am,package C-10 am.Suppose there is some problem and package A runs at 8.15 am there will be problem with package A.suggest me way to schedule packages such that package B runs after the successful execution of package A.

thanks,

Jayakumar

• Can we get a bit more information?

You want B to run after a successful run of A. What do you want to happen if A fails?

I suspect you can do what you want by executing each package as a different step in a SQL Server Agent job. When setting up the steps you can control what you want to happen when a step fails.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Hi thanks for your information ,to add little more suppose some there is some delay in loading data for package A package B and package a runs at 8 am and that scenario should be avoided.And the condition is that if package A fails package B should not run and in that case mail should send to concerened person telling him package A failed to run..what should i do for that?..Moreover when designing the package is it necessary to add EXECUTE PACKAGE TASK ?Kindly help

thanks,

Jayakumar.

• What is the problem with creating a single Job Agent job with a step for each package?

• What is the problem with creating a single Job Agent job with a step for each package?

... and email notifications on failed steps to the job operator?

• If you want email notification on the individual steps then that should be programmed into each package.

SQL jobs notify after the job completes, not after each step.

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• The emails are only on a failure of a step, so a single job seems to meet all of the given requirements.

• ...when designing the package is it necessary to add EXECUTE PACKAGE TASK ?....

To do what? You only need that if you want to execute another package from within that package.

Alvin Ramard

• Hi,

If you look at SSIS 2005. You have Event handler. This would be best to use. At the event handler you could call SSIS job agent. This method might be helpful for your task.

Regards,

Rajesh

• Yes, you can create a "Master" package. Inside your master package you can can run packages A, B, C, etc. and have each run based on whether the prior succees. If A turns red B won't run since it must run on success of A. Repeat for all the packages you need to run. Then just schedule 1 job to run the "Master" package.

I'd also recommend adding some debugging stuff in each "children" packages so if one fails while running inside the master, the error info can go somewhere and give you info on the reason for failure and which package failed.

Hope that helps!

Strick

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply