SSIS Package Logs

• We recently moved from SQL Server 2000 to 2005. I migrated all of the DTS data build jobs from DTS to SSIS. I do not recall setting up any package logging.

This morning one of our bigger jobs was hung up from overnight and I was asked "Is there a way to tell what step it is on like we could in the old DTS package logs?" I had no answer and still do not really.

Can someone help me with this? Is there something I can do so that users can see where an executing SSIS package is at when it is running?

Thanks!

mlj

~mj

• If you need to monitor the progress of a running package then I recommend that you turn on the package logging and enable at least all the error and warning events. I would also recommend, at least, the OnProgress, OnPreExecute, OnPostExecute, and OnInformation. Enable these at least for all the "meaningful" tasks.

I prefer logging these to a database table. You can then handle reporting of this information in numerous ways. I also recommend creating some Report Services reports for viewing this information. There's a virtually endless number of possibilities of what you can do with this information once it is logged.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Hi Alvin (love the gif!) ,

Thanks for the input. Mind to tell me how to do this stuff though? We would like to be able to turn on package logging so it can be looked at while the package is currently running to determine what process the package is on at any given time.

Thanks!

mlj

~mj

• In the SQL Job Agent you have job execution log/history. You can review there what is the status.

---
    SSIS Tasks Components Scripts Services | http://www.cozyroc.com/

• M Jones (7/23/2009)

Hi Alvin (love the gif!) ,

Thanks for the input. Mind to tell me how to do this stuff though? We would like to be able to turn on package logging so it can be looked at while the package is currently running to determine what process the package is on at any given time.

Thanks!

mlj

To find out more about logging, go to Books Online and lookup "Logs [Integration Services]".

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply