SSIS package execution with VB.NET application

• I have an SSIS package in SQL Server 2005 that I would like to execute from within a VB.NET application but I'm not sure exactly what to use for this. Can I somehow use a DBCommand object to execute the sp_start_job command or can I do this using an SMO object?? Either way, I'm new to VB.NET and wondering the best way to do this...

Any help/suggestions?

Thanks!:cool:

~mj

• Hi,

Have a look here for how to run a package programatically:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms136090.aspx

-or- you could just call the DtExec program, use System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("c:\program files\...\DTExec", "Params")

ed

• Is yuor intention to run it locally or on the server? If locally you can probably add a reference to Microsoft.SQLServer.ManagedDTS and instantiate the package and run it locally. I haven't actually done it this way..

If remotely I would set it up as a job and execute the job, especially if you only wanted one copy running concurrently, running it as a job will help with that..

CEWII

• Hi and thank you for the responses.

I do only want a single instance of the job to run at any given time so thank you for the input. I will also take a look at the help link supplied. It can't be that hard, can it??!! 🙂

~mj

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply