SSIS or Stored Procedure

• Hi all

I have scenario where i have to update/insert data from CSV file to SQL server table. This operation needs to be done every second (i.e. 60 times a minute). The csv file may contain 1000 - 5000 rows.

currently i have an sp which does a bulk insert. This SP is called by a service written in VC++.

So now my question is

1> Can SSIS help me in this situation??

2> which method will be faster SP or SSIS?

Please note that i have not used SSIS. But if SSIS is helpful to me in this case than i will be more than happy to learn it.

thanks

• Instead of using a Windows service, perhaps you can delegate this task to SQL Server Agent

SSIS can do the same job that your SP will do.

I believe SSIS will do faster and better in memory usage, than your SP can do.

But if your SP is working well enough that does not effect your server, then you can continue with SP + SQL Agent

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Size could be an issue in the decision, but I'd look to complexity. If the import is extremely simple, just a column mapping, I'd use TSQL to do it. If there's any complexity to it at all, I'd go with SSIS.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply