SSIS manual intervention

• Hi,

I apologize if it's a duplicate thread. I did a search but couldn't find the answer.

I have a typical ETL process. I'd like to have SSIS wait for my OK sign before it posts the final output file to the client's FTP site. (I need time to verify the results)

What would be the best way to handle this?

thank you for your help.

• Max (12/20/2007)

Hi,

I apologize if it's a duplicate thread. I did a search but couldn't find the answer.

I have a typical ETL process. I'd like to have SSIS wait for my OK sign before it posts the final output file to the client's FTP site. (I need time to verify the results)

What would be the best way to handle this?

thank you for your help.

Depending on how much verification you have, you may be best having SSIS post the final results locally or to a temp directory and close. Then you can move them at your leisure.

---
    Timothy A Wiseman
    SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/

• Thanks.

I was looking for something like a popup window with a button. So the SSIS package waits for the button to be pushed before it proceeds.

• You can pause the execution by firing off a popup window from within a script task by calling MsgBox("some message here"). However, if you try to do this on a package that is run on a schedule (specifically, one that is not run manually from BIDS), the package will fail.

If you will run the entire thing manually, then you can use this method. If not, I recommend creating a single package that will do the prep work before sending data out via FTP. Once you have validated whatever you need, you can run a second package to transfer the files.

hth,

Tim

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply