SSIS Import and Export Wizard

• Hi all,

I have created an SSIS package using import and export wizard. It transfers 2 large tables from one database to other in sql server. I checked the option optimize for more tables something like that. everything runs fine. now my problem is, I created an xml configuration file and saved the source and destination connection managers in it. now I 've moved this package from development to production server, I changed the server names in configuration file. But it did nt work. It still using old server and database. is it a bug in this wizard like we can't move this package between the servers??

Please let me know if there is any solution for this. any help would be appreciated. Thankyou...

• Hi,

How did u move the pakage from development to production ? Did u deploy them to production properly ?

-V

• Actually I did nt move it to production...but I was just testing by changing the configuration value in xml file...i mean I m changing the server names and testing...it worked well for all the other ssis packages..but for this import and export wizard it creates lot of temporary packages and it does nt work for this package...so i thought either it should be a bug or we can't move this package between the servers...

• Obviously on import export wizard we don't have much control. There are good deployment methods to deploy packages to servers. To answer your question,Since some packages worked for you by import -export , it is not bug ...

-V

• hey, Thanks for ur reply...other ssis packages are not import and export wizard...they r different..I create the packages on my development server and test all the packages by changing the server names in xml configuration file...but for this import and export wizard, it never works..it still uses the same server and database...

• try this:

After storing the package created by the wizard, open it directly in BIDS. Make sure that configuratios are enabled, that the correct connections are being stored in the config, and that the package is using the config file you expect it to. Then save and edit that config to specify the new server names.

• yep...thanks for the add on...I did everything u told...actually the problem is with the temporary packages it creates during run time ...when u check the option optimize for many tables, ther will be around 8 temp files...those files never use the config file....

• Hey...Finally I found the answer...actually when we use import and export wizard, it creates a temporary file 'prologuesql'...so if you move the package between the servers, you should change the server names not only in configuration file, but also shud edit the prologuesql and change the server ther...just wanted to put it here for some one who may face this...

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply