SSIS How to: Hardcoded items need to be variables

• Hi:

SSIS 2010 fairly simple process, had to hardcode flat file source and OleDb Destinations.

Note: Entire package has delayed validation = TRUE

Want to move to variables so the package does not need to change when environment it's in

changes.

Problem(s): Oledb: When I change the connection manager to one with variables, the table blanks out

and looses all information about the table.

Flat File Source: Does basically the same thing.

How do I get this behavior to cease ?

Thanks

• rsampson (1/25/2016)

Hi:

SSIS 2010 fairly simple process, had to hardcode flat file source and OleDb Destinations.

Want to move to variables so the package does not need to change when environment it's in

changes.

Problem(s): Oledb: When I change the connection manager to one with variables, the table blanks out

Thanks

How are you changing the connection manager to "one with variables"?

What are you storing in the variable?

Does the variable have the correct information when you make the change?

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• rsampson (1/25/2016)

Hi:

changes.

Thanks

Set your variables' initial/default values to point to 'real' files and servers. These values will allow the metadata to be retrieved as usual and will, of course, be overwritten at run time based on whatever logic you have put in place.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• From Data flow, Flat File source, edit, changing connection manager from one with hardcoded values to one with variables (delayed validation enabled). When I do, it picks up different values for the columns. Same for the OLE DB Destination, wipes out working definitions.

None of the variables have definitions till runtime.

• None of the variables have definitions till runtime.

As I suggested; give them values.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply