SSIS Export to Excel

• Good Morning,

I am actually using SQL 2008, but I'm hoping this forum can still help..

I am trying to create a SSIS package that will export data returned from a query to an Excel document that will save to a folder. That sounds easy enough, and I know how to set up the Source and Excel Destination.

What I'm having trouble doing is I need this query to run hourly and save all of the versions of the Excel document separately with different names. For example, Document1_Hour1, Document1_Hour2, etc. I set up a variable using this link - http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/tutorial/Export-SQL-Server-data-to-an-Excel-file-using-SSIS-and-Visual-Studio.

So, essentially I want to create the package and then set up a job to run it hourly. I'm running it via a job because after the file saves to the folder the next step is to update the records. However, I'm having trouble saving every single version of the report to a folder.

My question is, how can I save every version of an Excel document (run from a SQL query) into a folder using SSIS run by a hourly job using an incremental naming scheme, preferrably by date (hour)? Whenever I try to work through it, the SSIS always asks for a file name in the folder. I want it to create the file, not add to an already existing file.

If this can't be done via SSIS, are there any other ways?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

• The best way to do that is too create a batch file that will create a default file from a template file. Then after the file is loaded you can use a file system task to reanme the file and place in any folder you would like.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• Thanks for the reply.

Any documentation (links) on how to create the batch file? I've never done that. I searched Google, but that wasn't much help. Also, the script (or report) I want to save is a CTE query that contains a temp table. Will the batch process work for that kind of script?

• SSIS in my oppinoin has very poor to non existant options for formatting an excel document. So as such I always create a base file or template with the headers and formatting as I desire. Then at the first step I copy that template to a working file. you could also do this step with a system file task in SSIS. Just copy the file from the template name to a working file name. After you wrtie the output then you would do another copy and give it a name from a variable. I am sure there are links out there but I apologize I do not have them readily available.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• Thanks again for the replies....

Here's what I did (that worked) in case anyone searches on this and needs to find an answer:

First, the query I need to return as a report in a folder is a CTE query with temp tables. SSIS doesn't really like this syntax so I created a new table and a stored proc that will insert the data into the "fresh" (new) table a few times a day with a date/time stamp.

Second, I create a SSIS package using the Export Task in SSMS. Right click <Your database>, Tasks, Export Data. You have the option of creating a SSIS package in this wizard. I created it with the destination as an Excel sheet.

Third, I went to the SSIS which already has the data flow task set up. Make any adjustments necessary to make it work. Once it works, I then added a File System Task option and created two variables.

I followed the directions on these three links and combined the information on them:

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/articles/biz/file_system_task_ssis_p1.aspx

http://www.bidn.com/blogs/mikedavis/ssis/153/using-expression-ssis-to-save-a-file-with-file-name-and-date

http://zulfiqar.typepad.com/zulfiqars_web/2006/11/ssis_dynamic_fi.html

When I run the SSIS package now, it saves a copy of the information in a distinct Excel file, which allows me to keep the history (which we will eventually share the folder with a customer).

Hope this helps any future issues anyone has....

-Matt

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply