SSDT installation fails with error message incorrect function(0x8007001)

• I have installed SQL Server 2019. Trying to install SSDT 2017. It throws error message

SSDT installation fails with error message incorrect function(0x8007001). please let me know how can resolve this

• Why are you trying to install SSDT 2017? That won't work with SQL Server 2019.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Yep. You need the latest version to work on the latest version. Forwards compatibility is generally not a thing.

Also, seems that you could be hitting a common problem. Scroll to the bottom for a solution here.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Yep. You need the latest version to work on the latest version. Forwards compatibility is generally not a thing.

Well, SSDT for Visual Studio 2022 is out as well, so the OP does have a choice of the latest or previous version for Visual Studio 2019 at least. Presumably SSDT for VS 2022 is forward compatible for SQL Server 2022 or will be updated to be compatible with it once it's released.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

Well, SSDT for Visual Studio 2022 is out as well, so the OP does have a choice of the latest or previous version for Visual Studio 2019 at least. Presumably SSDT for VS 2022 is forward compatible for SQL Server 2022 or will be updated to be compatible with it once it's released.

No telling how Microsoft jumps on things like this, but you're probably correct.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

No telling how Microsoft jumps on things like this, but you're probably correct.

Unfortunately very true. Considering VS 2022 actually came out in 2021, I wouldn't put it past them having a VS 2023 release this year and SSDT for SQL Server 2022 is available in that. Hopefully, SSDT won't go back to being a separate VS install now Community Edition exist. 🙃

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• omg. the installer for SSDT2017 sucked at various points! Highly recommended to use the SSDT that matches the newest version of Sql Server you will be deploying objects to, especially SSIS packages. Not a huge issue for SSRS deployments, though.

oh, and highly recommended to also get the "BIDS Helper" (or whatever it is called these days). it is a mystery to me why it was never rolled into SSDT.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply