SQLServerAgent is not currently running so it cannot be notified of this action.

• I'm running SQL Server 2005 Express Edition CTP June and trying to create a scheduled job. But for some reason I get the error message "SQLServerAgent is not currently running so it cannot be notified of this action." when trying to create the job.

For SQL Server 2000 you could manually start the SQLAgent service by "net start sqlserveragent" from the commandline. As the SQLAgent is no longer a service in SQL Server 2005, I do not know how to start the the SQLAgent. I have looked in the SQL Server Configuration Manager for any kind of properties to start the agent. But I couldn't find anything.

Would it be possible through T-SQL to manually start the SQLAgent for SQL Server 2005? Or any other method to start the SQLAgent?

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Hi,

Sorry for late reply

TO start Sql agent in yukon u can do it in the same way in sql 2000 u do.

If u are not getting the option to stat sql agent then u can go to the registered services rightclick and click connect a new page will display with all the services of 2005.

u have to give the username(windows authenticated) with having permission as log on services on that server.

If u are unable to reaach to the above then

go to the windows component services and select sqlagent and right click and go to properties.

give use name and password and click start.

still problem then ask give error number in post.

sufian

•  

Hi,

Sorry for late reply

TO start Sql agent in yukon u can do it in the same way in sql 2000 u do.

If u are not getting the option to stat sql agent then u can go to the registered services rightclick and click connect a new page will display with all the services of 2005.

u have to give the username(windows authenticated) with having permission as log on services on that server.

If u are unable to reaach to the above then

go to the windows component services and select sqlagent and right click and go to properties.

give use name and password and click start.

still problem then ask give error number in post.

sorry i have to ids on sqlserver central

sufian

• Thanks for the reply sufian.  I looked in the Windows Services and couldn't find SQL Agent Service in the list.  I did some more searching on google and found that the SQL Agent does not come with SQL Server 2005 Express Edition.  The article recommends that if you want some tasks scheduled, to use the Windows Task Scheduler and the sqlcmd.exe to execute the sql commands instead.  Very depressing.  I hope Microsoft might be able to put that back in future versions.  But until then I will stick with MSDE 2000.

I think the other editions would have the SQL Agent.  But I guess not for the free version of SQL Server 2005 Express Edition.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply