sqlserver domain change

• Hi,

i am planning to change the domain. i know change the security logon on properties of sqlserver. I know nothing will change to the SQL users.But what happpens to the OLD DOMAIN windows users that are stored in sqlserver database for access. how can they access if domain changes? do i need to do anything for those logins to be mapped with their NEW DOMAIN windows logins.can any one guide me on this? do i need to change any thing else.

Thanks in advance

Rock..

• Hi,

This would probably be better on a Windows/Network admin group.

If this new domain going to be a child of the original domain or completely seperate? If it is child then it should be an issue. If it is completely seperate then the provided the domains can "see" each other you can set up a trust relationship and the the accounts can then remain.

• If there are trusts between the old and the new domain, the users from the old domain should be OK. Otherwise, you will need to add them again on the new domain.

FYI : underneath the wrappers, the "link" between a SQL Login and Active Directory is via the SID (you can see this as a column in syslogins). Active Directory sorts out authentication of the users - if they are on a trusted domain (e.g. the old domain), Active Directory can see these users and everything is good. If the old domain is not known to Active Directory, the SID that SQL Server has will be meaningless and the users will not be able to connect to SQL Server.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply