sqlserver 2005 died have database on usb drive need to attache to a 2008 server

• My sqkserver 2005 died the database was on a detachable drive I need to move/attach/import to a 2008 sql server.

• Do you have backups? Data and log files?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I have the log files on the usb drive (no backup) these are the acutal was working database and log files.

• Just log files? What about the data files? You can't recreate a database from just the log files.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• If you have both files you can right click on database, select Attach, and then select the files you want to attach. If you don't have the data file, you're out of luck.

• I have to ask, why no backups?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (8/4/2011)

I have to ask, why no backups?

What, you didn't get the news? August has been declared a 'no backup' month. </sarcasm>

Gail Shaw

• LOL this is a copy of a in Production Database that I made for a developer to test with...but he made changes in this database without making them in his Development database.He was suppose to make all changes in dev database first(that is backed up) and them move them to test....The test servers always end up broken so I don't back them up I just recreate them every now and then.

Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply