#SQLNewBlogger

• I write to think, I write to captures ideas I don't want to lose, I write to get better at writing. I don't worry about picking topics that haven't been done, I just write about things that interest me. In many ways blogging is about learning to listen for writing ideas. It makes you pay attention more. Here's an example. Last week some colleagues were talking about wireless networks at home. The names and passwords are just funny! I wrote that down to expand on at some point, which I may or may not do.

• So, it makes it extremely hard to find anything to write about that is offering anything of value.

Even though I can't blog about my job or the tools I use there, I can post and blog about OSS or my hobbies/passions.

I recent made a detail technical post on a forum covering a well known subject that newbies still ask questions about. I had to piece the solution to my particular problem from hours of research. I covered the situation from a personal aspect with details of the problem, tools used and costs. If it helps someone resolve a similar problem in less time, then it's worthwhile.

• I missed this when it was posted due to personal reasons I shall not bore anyone with now. Whilst I missed this I said to myself that I would try and submit some editorials for this site. This has been achieved but I also decided to make it an ongoing thing. I keep trying and submit an editorial every now and again. This is a similar objective but one that gives a more subject flexibility.

My biggest achievement though was encouraging a peer here to submit an editorial them-self as I felt that what they lacked in confidence they had in experience, knowledge and interest. Cheeky chap only got a longer and more interesting forum discussion on his first submission than any of mine!!!
    (And I am glad about that too.)

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• The discussions are the best part

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply