SQLNCLI problem, need a bit of help with it.

• Hello everyone,

I am in an area of SQL that I'm not too familiar with, I've had a good look round the web to try to sort this, but I'm not coming up with anything that exactly matches what I have.

Basically I am getting the error below from the history of a job I have running. I know why its failing, and that is because I have moved the database that was on the server it points to, and I have shut down the SQL engines (the old server was a linked server on the machine that the job resides on). What I am trying to do is to get it to look at the new SQL server but I just cant work out how. I have added the new server as a linked server already and its that server that I need the SQLNCLI to focus on. Here is the error...

Executed as user: DOMAIN\username. Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [2]. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 2) OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI10" for linked server "SERVERA" returned message "Login timeout expired". [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 7412) OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI10" for linked server "SERVERA" returned message "A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.". [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 7412). The step failed

'ServerA' represents the old server with the shut down SQL engines. I hope someone can help as this is driving me up the wall.

Thanks for reading,

Kind Regards,

D.

• Hi Duran,

Have you altered the SQL Script also which is executing within the job steps to point to this new SQL Server (I assume you have created a new linked server for the new SQL Server) ??

Sujeet Singh

• Hello, thanks for getting back. Well I had looked through the script, but your comment made me look again and I noticed this time (after a nights sleep) that the script references a view, which was still pointing the old server. So thank you. Now I just have to work out the security issues that I am getting back when I run the report.

Thank you again.

Regards,

D.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply