sql2005 service pack I

• I've heard some have had issues applying this. Any experiences? Thoughts?

From the SSWUG:

SQL Server 2005 SP1: "Warning Will Robinson"

A word to the wise. Test. There have been some (several?) postings on our own email discussions and around the web about SP1 issues with the update just posted by Microsoft. Note that these issues may not impact you - but if they do, please be sure to report them to Microsoft, and drop me a note here. I'd like to hear about successes as well - we'll make sure people get the information needed (like we've been doing on the migration front, which we'll return to...) Here is some of the information posted to the lists on SSWUG:

Peter: "After installing and testing the CTP-SP1 build 2040 on 4 development and test servers for 4 weeks with no errors, we decided to test the official SP1 build 2047.

The details:

Server A (32bit Win2003 and 32bit SQL2005): Installation runs smoothly, no errors on first sight. But then discovered, that sql is still reporting to be build 2040 (CTP-SP1) and we believe it, because it's the only test server which is fully functional (Integration Services) at the moment. But installer said SP1 Installation successful...

Server B (32bit Win2000 and 32bit SQL2005): Aborted with Client Components installation. Found out that 630MB free on drive C isn't enough. After clearing 800MB on C, installation runs with no errors. After rebooting can't connect to Integration Services (HRESULT: 0x8002801D, TYPE_E_LIBNOTREGISTERED Microsoft.SqlServer.DTSRuntimeWrap)

Server C (64bit Win2003 and 64bit SQL2005): First installation aborted with a failure on Integration Services, second try after a reboot says everything ok, no errors. But after a second reboot Integration Services service can't start. (The SQL Server Integration Services service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.)

Server D (32bit Win2003 and 32bit SQL2005): Same as Server B, aborted with Client Components installation. But even after the successful second install has now a mixture installation with SP1 (build 2047) and CTP-SP1 (build 2040). After rebooting can't connect to Integration Services (HRESULT: 0x8002801D, TYPE_E_LIBNOTREGISTERED Microsoft.SqlServer.DTSRuntimeWrap)

Well, after this experience we will stay on CTP-SP1 (build 2040) until there's a usable SP1."

• I'm very interested to hear what others are experiencing with SP1.

When we received the early reports of people having trouble/problems with the SP1 installation we kicked off an intensive analysis. This included rereviewing our internal testing, discussions with our US support centers, discussion with a SQL MVP who had reported problems, and discussions with a few customers. The conclusion we reached was that the issues a handful of people were running into were in no way chronic.

If at all possible you should install the released version of SP1 over RTM and not over the SP1 CTP release. Several of the cases reported were caused by a corrupt install of the CTP release or a corrupt RTM installation.

My recommendation is this (and this goes with any service pack):

1) Never install pre-releases on production machines. CTPs are a great thing, but they are not final code.

2) Install the final bits over a clean target (meaning install SP1 over RTM) and not on top of a target that once had a CTP installed

3) Read the "Read Me" and search for relevant KB articles - educate yourself!

• It's almost a case of de-evolution ... it seems that the sound process of waiting until SP2 has been out in GA for 3 months may be the key and coming back into vogue. There are probrbly many out ther may remember this thought process when upgrading from v4.21 to v6.0 or from v6.0/v6.5 to v7.0 ... funny how history repeats itself whenever a major code base change occurs in SQL Server ...

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• I had the same experience as Randy with the Integration Services service not starting after I applied SP1 over a clean RTM on Windows Server 2003 Standard 32-bit.  As a temporary fix I uninstalled Integration Services, then re-installed the Integration Services component from the original RTM DVD, and ignored the warning about reapplying the Service Pack; seems to work fine.

This approach is obviously not to be recommended for production machines !!!

• I am experiencing the same problem with Intergration Services (

The SQL Server Integration Services service failed to start due to the following error:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

) after installing SP1.  This is really annoying as i was rebuilding alot of the stuff we have on SQL2000 to 2005.  Whats the best way to report this to microsoft, is there a dedicated email address for sql?

• There is a report of this bug in the MSDN Product Feedback. If you can validate that you're having the bug, too, you can click on the link for that bug and choose to validate it. I think after validation occurs, voting should be enabled. It looks like Microsoft is actively working on it, but the more scrutiny, the more time they'll give it. Here's a direct link to the bug report. You'll have to login with your passport ID.

Bug Details: SSIS doesn't start after applying sql2k5 sp1

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Another one here:

Bug Details: SQL Server Integration Services service failed to start after installing SP1

This one is the "Failed to start in a timely manner" error.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks Brian, have left my comments and voted - hopefully a fix is only a day or so away.

• I too have had several problems with installing SP1 for 2005.

On some workstations and servers the service pack failed to install the first time. But did install on second or even third istall. On other the Integration service failed to start.

We have locked down the server so they cannot access the Internet, which is standard practice in our organisation. But this cause the CRL problem. You should not need Internet access to install or start a service.

Installing the SP1 hotfixes does seem to fix the problem.

But I not impressed with Microsoft with this. I expect a Service Pack to fix issue, not start and cause new ones. It was also taken me a bit of digging around this issue to find the resolution, and there is no mention at all is the Release Notes for SP1 of the Knowledge Base articles. Come on Microsft start and get it right, or at least re-issue the service pack as SP1a.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply