SQL2005 Merge Pull Subscription Uninitialized

• SQL2005 Merge Pull Subscription Uninitialized

Here is the scenario.

SQL Server 2005 Merge Replication using RMO interface

Distributor, Publisher, PublicationDB are all on a single SQL Server 2005 Development

The clients are on SQL Server 2005 Express

Using RMO we can create the merge pull subscription but it registers as “status: inactive” and/or “Uninitialized”.

We are using a LAN connection a shared directory for snapshots with Modify permission grated to “Everyone” on the share and file system security.

We are executing the merge using a SQL Login account with SysAdmin Permission on the Parent Server for the Publisher and Windows Authentication using a machine administrator for the Subscriber.

What do we need to do to switch the subscription to initialized/active?

We've mimiced this scenario using SQL BAT with the same question/issue.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Follow-Up***

So far no solutions...

I have found that the LAN issue may be due to domain securities. The test machine that is working is running on the same domain as the Distributor/Publisher/Publication with an authenticated domain user while the virtual machine that is failing to properly execute the merge agent is not running via a domain authenticated account. It appears that due to this scenario the Replication Server is looking in its local user list for the Client user account and not finding it, denying permission to access the snapshot share. All the connections prior to that point that are still functioning appear to be SQL Server specific.

In the Web Sync scenario, I have an SSL security blow out due to an expired cert and a MIS department that wants me to purchase a $500.00 public cert rather then spend the fifteen minutes it would take to publish a private cert for testing the development project. I will be attempting to build my own front end server for testing while the PTBs in IT and MIS try to come up with a "team" solution for ongoing project development. Ahh, well, it is just one of the hastles dealing with lots of competing desires.

I will post updates later... by the way SQL Server 2005 Express does not appear to support the SQL Agent even via SMO API.

FirstMalone

• FirstMalone

Database Developer

Web Sync Update:

I was able to get assistance from MIS to set up their load balancer to speak SSL to SSL to my web sync application server; they also set up a cert on the web sync application server so that https://WebSyncDomain/ pops up the cert with server name WebSyncDomain. This was apparently a great feet of networking; I can not speak to it one way or the other because, I’m just not qualified on that end of things; I had to re-register [C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\COM\] replrec.dll & replerrx.dll using regsrv32; This took care of [Class Initialization test]: [replisapi.dll classes]: [Failure] (replrec.dll) & [Class Initialization test]: [CLSID_SQLReplErrors]: [Failure] (replerrx.dll);

Again, I am not sure what the Load Balancer SSL to SSL discussion with the Web Application Server is doing, but my diagnostic reports my HTTPS as Off;

I am trying to find how to alter [ReplIsapi Settings]: [Logging Enabled] from [FLASE] to [TRUE] in hopes of collecting a bit more information; I am also trying to put together a C# Console App to run through the merge agent processes for my ClientPCSQLServer2005 and my ClientPCSQLServer2005Express;

Using the Synchronization Status Wizard from my ClientPCSQLServer2005 subscription has been a great help, but I don’t have that luxury with my ClientPCSQLServer2005Express;

I will keep you posted;

following are a helpful forum post I found; my most recent Web Sync failure; and my Web Sync Diagnostics

================

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=820565&SiteID=1

SET security info on the subscription object

SET security info on the SynchronizationAgent object.

================

Date             10/18/2006 1:48:50 PM

Log               Job History (ReplicationJOB)

Step ID                   1

Server          ClientPCSQLServer2005

Job Name               ReplicationJOB

Step Name              Run agent.

Duration                  00:00:54

Sql Severity             0

Sql Message ID                 0

Operator Emailed             

Operator Net sent             

Operator Paged               

Retries Attempted             0

2006-10-18 17:49:40.515 Uploading data changes to the Publisher

2006-10-18 17:49:43.202 No data needed to be merged.

2006-10-18 17:49:43.374 Request message generated, now making it ready for upload.

2006-10-18 17:49:43.561 Upload request size is 2524 bytes.

2006-10-18 17:49:43.655 Uploaded a total of 1 chunks.

2006-10-18 17:49:43.671 The request message was sent to 'https://WebSyncDomain/ WebSyncVirtualDirectory/replisapi.dll'

2006-10-18 17:49:43.858 The response message was received from 'https://WebSyncDomain/WebSyncVirtualDirectory/replisapi.dll' and is being processed.

2006-10-18 17:49:43.983 The format of a message during Web synchronization was invalid. Ensure that replication components are properly configured at the Web server.

2006-10-18 17:49:44.264 Category:NULL

Source:  XML Message Subscriber

Number:  -2147199374

Message: The format of a message during Web synchronization was invalid. Ensure that replication components are properly configured at the Web server.

================

'https://WebSyncDomain/WebSyncVirtualDirectory/replisapi.dll?diag'

SQL Websync diagnostic information

Client Information:

AUTH_USER:

ADDomain\ADUserName

AUTH_TYPE:

Basic

HTTPS:

Off

LOGON_USER:

ADDomain\ADUserName

REMOTE_ADDR:

WebSyncIP

REMOTE_HOST:

WebSyncIP

REMOTE_USER:

ADDomain\ADUserName

REQUEST_METHOD:

GET

SERVER_NAME:

WebSyncDomain

SERVER_PORT:

SERVER_PROTOCOL:

HTTP/1.1

SERVER_SOFTWARE:

Microsoft-IIS/6.0

URL:

/WebSyncVirtualDirectory/replisapi.dll

Class Initialization test:

Class

Status

ErrorCode

replisapi.dll classes

SUCCESS

0x0

CLSID_SQLReplErrors

SUCCESS

0x0

replrec.dll classes

SUCCESS

0x0

msxml6.dll classes

SUCCESS

0x0

ReplIsapi Statistics:

Counter

Value

Active worker threads.

Active Requests.

Total Query Requests

Total File Download Requests

Total Sync Requests

Total Requests Handled

Max queue wait time (ms)

Average time in Queue (ms)

Max sync duration (ms)

Average Sync Duration (ms)

ReplIsapi Settings:

Property

Value

SNAC version (sqlncli.dll)

Logging Enabled

FALSE

• See Next Post... this one got messed up.  David

Thank-you,
    David Russell
    Any Cloud, Any Database, Oracle since 1982

• Good job!  I didn't follow things completely; but I don't have a similar environment, so not needed... today.

While reading the thread, I saw a month ago that you were being harassed to buy a certificate... and I'm sure it's too late for you; but for someone else following this or searching in the future...

Download the SSL Tool Kit from the MS site.  It is not supported, apparently because MS has gotten tougher in the CM area and can no longer release "products" that don't meet certain standards... so, there are limitations in what it can do...

but one thing it CAN do is generate a "test certificate"... FREE!

Do keep the thread posted.  Good reading, and may be valuable information later

Thank-you,
    David Russell
    Any Cloud, Any Database, Oracle since 1982

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply