SQL2005 Express - High availability - Are there any strategies?

• Good Afternoon,

What high availability strategies are available for SQL2005 Express? To my knowledge SQL Express can only be used in a DB mirroring environment as a witness server and it does not support transaction log shipping.

Does Microsoft offer any other strategies to ensure high availability between SQL Express Servers & DBs?

Any info would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Dan

• Hi,

I believe the following link answers my original question: http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2005/en/us/compare-features.aspx%5B/url%5D

Hope this is of some help to other people.

Dan

• Hi Dan,

I think that although log-shipping isn't available in SQL Express per se, you could set this up manually yourself.

You will just need a scheduled job to regularly perform the t-log backup on the primary server and copy the resulting TRN file over to a share on your secondary server.

Then have a scheduled job on the secondary server regularly restore the t-log to the copy of the database that you have housed on the secondary which is running in NORECOVERY or STANDBY.

The snag is that SQL Express doesn't have a SQL Agent to take care of scheduling and running these jobs for you, but you can get around this by using the Windows scheduler to run batch files and within these batch files you can use SQLCMD to perform the backups and restores.

Reading this back it sounds a bit involved but it's not too tricky and the end result is High Availability on SQL Express.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply