SQL Standard on multicore processors

• Hi All

My understanding is it SQL 2005 standard edition will see 8 CPU's on say 4 cpu dual core processors.

I would like to know if SQL standard edition actually uses more than 4 cores. If it is restricted to 4 CPU's, how does SQL differentiate between 4 single core CPU's against 4 quad core CPU's?

If anyone has an installation with more than 4 cores I would be grateful if you could confirm whether sql uses all the cores.

Thanks

Shiraz

• it will use all virtual cores; the db system is limited to 4 physical cores on SQL standard, with no limit to the number of virtual cores.

the 4 CPU limit not be an issue unless your mother board actually has more than 4 CPU slots....

if you could affort the chipset, for example, SQL STD 2005 would support 64 virtual CPUS if each CPU had a 16 core CPU...4 x 16 virtuals=64.

HTH

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks Lowell for your reply.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply