SQL SERVER + SSD

• I'm new to sql server. ..We have an issue with accessing and updating large database which is about 30tb(we get this data from 3rd party). We have about 20 developers who work on site and when they access the data .. retrieval time is very slow, sometime when they update many records. . Server is shutting down.

I understand we have Some options (please let me know of more options if any.. I'm sure there should be more options)

1) table partitioning

2) File Groups

2) putting SSD drive

They are already on SSD.

But still they have same issue.

Could anyone please help me with the options to handle this situation better. OR Share me there setup diagram of SSD drive (which will help me to revisit our architecture)

Any help is really appreciated.

• Bunny786 (1/22/2015)

I'm new to sql server. ..We have an issue with accessing and updating large database which is about 30tb(we get this data from 3rd party). We have about 20 developers who work on site and when they access the data .. retrieval time is very slow, sometime when they update many records. . Server is shutting down.

I understand we have Some options (please let me know of more options if any.. I'm sure there should be more options)

1) table partitioning

2) File Groups

2) putting SSD drive

They are already on SSD.

But still they have same issue.

Could anyone please help me with the options to handle this situation better. OR Share me there setup diagram of SSD drive (which will help me to revisit our architecture)

Any help is really appreciated.

Hi, you mentioned some serious problems, but didn't really give enough details to give any kind of proper response.

As I understand it, you have several problems.

1. some serious problems with slowness on queries for a very large database

I know you specifically asked about SSD, and they can help IF your problem is strictly an I/O issue. There's a decent article about using them here:

http://sqlmag.com/storage/using-solid-state-disks-sql-server-storage-solutions

Before throwing hardware at it, do some basic troubleshooting and tuning. If you don't have proper indexes on the tables, you may get a huge boost from adding one. I bring this up because you stated you are new to SQL Server. There was a reasonably good troubleshooting article linked from that SSD article.

http://sqlmag.com/database-performance-tuning/troubleshooting-slow-servers

It covers the basics and should at least get you pointed in the right direction.

2. SQL Server Shutting down with multiple updates.

What do you mean by shutting down? Is it crashing or just getting so slow as to appear hung? How do you recover? (Reboot, wait, kill queries, etc)

What troubleshooting have you done?

Really, before you start deciding on a solution for the problem, you need to define the problem better. Otherwise you could spend a LOT of money trying to fix a problem without actually fixing it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply