SQL Server Name differnt to Computer Name

• When you install SQL Server the SQL Server Name is the same as the Computer Name. We are setting up a standby machine (with a different computer name), installing SQL Server restoring the databases etc. At the last minute we plan to pull the existing SQL Server off the network and change the name of the SQL Server (but not the computer) to that of the old server and also give it the same IP address.

Are there any unxepected consequences in doing this?

Thanks,

Dick Campbell

• you might not  be able to connect

you can explore named instances, failover clustering, logshipping instead

the change will happen on the apps level via an ini file most probably

HTH

• If your applications connect using the IP-address there will be no problem.

just be sure to follow this: http://www.databasejournal.com/scripts/article.php/1496451

and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281642

Your sqlserver will only be available using the HW-computername or using a DNS-Alias for it. In your case, using a dns-alias may be the way to go, so you can migrate connections later on.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I'd shy away from IP addresses totally. That's what DNS was meant to do for you !

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Just to clarify one point, what are the issues in having the computer name and SQL Server name different? Is it best to keep them the same.

By the way, the thing that concerns me is that we are replicating the data to about 10 MSDE databases. Replication uses SQL Server names so I assume that we need to preserve the SQL Server name. The plan is to disconnect the old sever rename the new one and connect it. We will then run the Replication Create script (generated on the old server).

I am begining to think that I should change the computer name, IP address and SQL Server name of the new machine to be that of the old one.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Dick Campbell

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply