SQL Server Management Tools

• I just got a trial copy of Quest Central for SQL Server and I have just started playing with it.  So far it looks really cool.

I am doing research to find a management tool, or tools, to submit to management for purchase.  Before I go to management I need to show I have done my "due diligence" so I would like feedback on what tools others are using, how you like them, and any alternatives to Quest Central.

Thanks for all your help.  I know I will always get the best help here!

hawg

----------------------------------------------------------

01010011010100010100110000100000010100110110010101110010011101100110010101110010

• I've use DBArtisan from Embarcadero at the last two places I've worked.  It's a very nice tool for a heterogeneous database environment since it supports MS and Oracle and Sybase and (I think) IBM.

The navigation is a lot like EM but it exposes more objects.  The query interface is built in.  It generates accurate and tailorable SQL scripts for DB objects.  It has optional debugger, tuning, and backup analysis modules.  I've never worked with those so I can't really comment on them.

The version I'm working on doesn't handle SQL Server 2005 very well, but they're working on the '2005 tolerant' version now and will come out with a version that actually exploits the new features later.

You can download a trial version from their web site:

http://www.embarcadero.com (and no, I don't work for them).

Once you complete your eval, it might be nice to post the comparisons you found valuable back to the forum so we can all benefit.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• It kind of depends on what you need. I'm pretty lucky at my company and we've got both Embarcadero DBArtisan and Quest Central. For object management, generating scripts, that sort of administrative task, I prefer DBArtisan. For monitoring the state of the system, checking query performance options, and more development oriented tasks, I prefer Quest Central. YMMV.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply