SQL Server /ISS Server

• HI Guys

is it wise to have iss and sql on the same box, i have tried to keep these seperate but i want to install reporting services and i see that it requires ISS server installed?

is there anyway around this, or am i completly "barking up the wrong tree" or just "barking mad"

cherrs

weazzell

Kindest Regards,

Todd,non est vivere sed valere vita est

• reporting services must be installed on the same box as SQL to comply with the default licensing requirements, i think.

after that it's the usual cost benefit scenario.....most people recommend SQL as a separate box than the web server, but this is just about supporting Reporting Services, right?

In the perfect world you'd go crazy and buy extra licenses so that you can install Reporting Services in a separate machine, but it comes down to price.

In the real world, you'll probably put it all on one box and upgrade later when performance suffers.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• If I'm running another IIS server for other purposes do I need to also run it on the database server in order to support Reporting Services?

What I seem to be hearing is that RS & IIS are tightly integrated to the point where it's not possible to isolate IIS on another server and leave Reporting Services on the database box. Is that correct?

Richard Ray

Jackson Hole Mtn Resort

• Reporting Services requires IIS, because all access to the reports are web based;  any of the drill down reports are web pages that link to the detail views, so with that in mind, you have to have IIS.

The licensing agreement faq says:

Is Reporting Services free?

A.

No. Reporting Services is part of the SQL Server 2000 license. If you have a licensed copy of SQL Server 2000, you may run Reporting Services on the same server for no additional license fee. If you want to run Reporting Services on a server that is not licensed for SQL Server 2000, you will need to obtain a SQL Server 2000 license for that additional server. This is the same licensing model used for SQL Server Analysis Services. For more information about licensing scenarios, see the How to License Reporting Services page.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reporting/howtobuy/faq.asp

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• OK, I understand the RS needs IIS, and the RS has to be on the same box as SQL Server for licensing reasons. I just don't understand why IIS has to be installed on the same server as Reporting Services, unless RS is so tightly integrated with IIS that IIS can't provide access when it's on another box.

That seems to violate MS's previous direction.

Richard Ray

Jackson Hole Mtn Resort

• I think i see where the question resides.

the interface for RS IS web pages....there is no .exe program like sqlserver.exe to call. There is no client side application to install.

i think RS is a big ISAPI DLL, so it needs to reside on an IIS instance in order to serve it's pages...\

a virtual directory gets created on your IIS instance, and users navigate to that web page/virtual directory in order to run reports. The advantage is obvious...web pages require no installation, and RS leverages IIS's ability to service hundreds or thousands of requests from the web.

so, like any other isapi or web project, it can be installed on any iis server, and you just change the database connection /web.config file for reporting services to point to the proper server.., but whether it is proper to do or not goes back to licensing.

Lowell

• Reporting Services is just a web application (that runs on IIS) with two SQL Server databases to store its internal information and to use as temp space when compiling reports. You can (and I have) seperate the web application (running on IIS) and the database server onto different windows servers. If you do this though, you do have to license the IIS Server as if it is a SQL Server (buy another SQL Server license).

There is no technical reason why you cannot seperate them, and I prefer to seperate them for security, patching, and performance reasons.

Check over the SQL Server reporting services FAQ for more information. Also, I highly recommend the Hitchhiker's Guide to SQL Server Reporting Services book. It is very good and covers installing and licensing RS in several different scenarios (One server, seperate servers, web farms, etc.).

• Hey  Guys

thanks for all your input on this topic, that given me some ideas to play with, now ill go and start to have a bit of a play with  RS etc

cheers for that

Weazzell

Kindest Regards,

Todd,non est vivere sed valere vita est

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply