SQL server installation problem for developer edition(urgent)

• Hi,

I am getting this error repeatedly during my sql server developer edition 32 bit installation, though i have uninstall the express edition on my pc.

Please give me solution asap.

MSI (s) (70:08) [18:39:06:812]: Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Tools -- A component that you have specified in the ADD_LOCAL property is already installed. To upgrade the existing component, refer to the template.ini and set the UPGRADE property to the name of the component.

A component that you have specified in the ADD_LOCAL property is already installed. To upgrade the existing component, refer to the template.ini and set the UPGRADE property to the name of the component.

Action ended 18:39:06: ErrorUnsupportedUpgrade. Return value 3.

• check for this registry entries.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SOFTWARE\microsift\MSSQLServer and Microsoft SQL Server.

Remove this before the developer instlation.

• i have tried this earlier, but still the same error

• Please check if the following thread helps

http://blogs.msdn.com/brada/archive/2005/06/24/432209.aspx

Prasad Bhogadi
    www.inforaise.com

• I would opt to probably reinstall the whole SQL Developer Edition just to make sure things are OK. If you have database you need to save with valuable work I would detach them and save the .mdf and .ldf files to a separate folder first so you reattach them later.

Here is a link to an article on uninstalling SQL 2000 manually.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290991

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Thanks everyone,

I have found a solution for this problem,

first i manually removed the sql server from add remove programs

secondly, i install the windows install clean up in my pc

thirdly when i see in the windows install gui screen there were still some

sql server instance to my surprise, then i selected remove, ie it removed from the registry also and my developer edition was installed sucessfully

• I found the best solution to the problem where Workstation components won't install if you are installing developer edition and there is an existing instance of sql server 2005 express. Chances are the problem is caused by the express version of workstation components being installed. The upgrade does not recognize that it should update to Management Studio in this situation.

The fix is to go to Add/Remove programs and click the change button. You will see that the version of workstation components is express. Remove these. You can then run the entire setup or just go to the tools setup directory on the installation disk and run the msi for the client tools only.

I had tried so many ways of fixing this problem to no avail. All of our corporate imaged machines had the same problem and I needed to find a way that would not interfere with other versions. Just out of luck I looked at the change option and saw that an express version of the workstation tools was there. Once you remove them, the install to an upgrade version of SQL Server 2005 works as expected.

I would strongly recommend checking this before doing any upgrade even if you don't think that you have express tools installed on your machine. It will save you lots of time and frustration:cool:

Karen Gayda
    MCP, MCSD, MCDBA

gaydaware.com

• I could not install the tools for SQL Server 2005 and this worked for me. i had an entry for: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Tools Express Edition even though i had uninstalled the tools from add/remove programs..

here are the steps that i took so that maybe it will make this process easier for everyone else:

1. download the two zips and extract msiinv.exe and msizap.exe

2. through command line i ran the msiinv.exe with the command:

output.txt

this created a file called output.txt in the folder with the executable.

3. look in the text file for the entry for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Tools Express Edition

4.copy the guid for PRODUCT CODE:

5. run msizap.exe from the command line with the following command:

6. run the installer for SQL Server 2005 tools.

i fought with this for 4 days. Thank you..thank you ....thank you!!!!!!!!

link to info on zips:

http://blogs.msdn.com/brada/archive/2005/06/24/432209.aspx

• Glad that it worked for you! I grappled with this issue for awhile and when I saw that it was happening on all of our corporate dev machines I concluded that it had to be something specific to their image. That's when I started poking around the change settings for the installation components. I was hoping that I would not have to uninstall 2005 because if you do that on a machine that has 2000 as well, it may break usage of 2000 tools even after re-installing 2005.

I was hoping to spare fellow devs/dbas the time and frustration that I had encountered by posting what worked for me.

Karen Gayda
    MCP, MCSD, MCDBA

gaydaware.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply