SQL Server Image Data Load

• Hi, trying to find out a way to load massive amounts of Image Data into a Sql Database. My assumptions are as follows:

1. Using DTS/BCP I believe would be the best answer, I believe.

2. But first have to convert the Image data files into one huge load file, looking for ways to script a directory contents and build the file.

3. Using the above file either use DTS and BCP or simply BCP from the command promt

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

• Of course this is old hat now but I used a VB app and the ADO Stream object whenever I had to load image files.

• Do you need to load image data into the database?  From personal experience and advice I received before I would think it better to have a varchar field with a path to the file location of the file instead of image data. 

Image data can get a bit messy if you run into problems on the server.  If you had to have a torn page, you will lose a considerable amount of data. 

<hr noshade size='1' width='250' color='#BBC8E5'>Kindest Regards,

Roelof
    <a href='http://' class='authorlink' target='_blank'></a>

--There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

• Oh dear,

the old chestnut of whether to keep files in the OS or in the DB rears it's head again

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply