SQL Server fails to start after creating Server Principle Names

• Hello,

I am trying to implement Kerberos authentication between our BizTalk servers and a 2-node SQL 2005 cluster.

1. 8 Server Principle Names (SPN's) are successfully created.

2. SQL taken offline in the cluster (one node at a time).

3. Attempt to restart SQL from within the cluster. This fails because of Error 18456, Sev. 14, State 16 and sometimes state 11). State 11 means login is valid but server access failed. We get the login failed error for both the account running SQL and a different account running BizTalk.

How do I find out the root cause of the server access failure?

Also, we verified that the account and passwords are valid by using them to logon to another server.

If we reset the passwords, SQL still fails to start.

If the SPN's are removed and we wait about an hour, presumably for domain replication to complete, the SQL will finally start normally.

Thanks in advance,

DetRich

• Have you checked this one out already?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/psssql/archive/2010/06/23/my-kerberos-checklist.aspx

• Check the firewall settings, they can cause exactly this error. (I saw it just last week at a customer site).

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• No firewalls in this environment.

• rstringer (5/21/2012)

No firewalls in this environment.

Windows has a software firewall built into the OS. You need to check that on the Server that is running your SQL Server instance. The simple test is to just disable the firewall and see if the problem goes away.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• RBarryYoung (5/21/2012)

rstringer (5/21/2012)

No firewalls in this environment.

Windows has a software firewall built into the OS. You need to check that on the Server that is running your SQL Server instance. The simple test is to just disable the firewall and see if the problem goes away.

(note that you don't necessarily want to run normally with the Firewall disabled. This is just to test it)

[/font]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply