SQL SERVER DBA

• Hai to all,

I am working as sql server developer in a concern but i am very interested to learn SQL server DBA as well,I have no idea about the portions which involved in DBA.Let me know the portions which really helpful to get the job as DBA in good concern.I am very grateful to you if you help me out as early.

• jaffrey (1/10/2011)

Hai to all,

I am working as sql server developer in a concern but i am very interested to learn SQL server DBA as well,I have no idea about the portions which involved in DBA.Let me know the portions which really helpful to get the job as DBA in good concern.I am very grateful to you if you help me out as early.

as a developer you should have a good understanding of SQL server and TSQL, which is a bonus.

Moving to DBA, you should sit with an experienced DBA and work with him/her to get a feel for the difference in approaches between Dev and Admin.

It might also be a good idea to install a local free/dev copy of SQL Server on a non-production machine, even your own computer, and create, backup, test, break, fix etc....

Find out if there are User Groups in your area, and attend them, speak to the local DBA's, try to gain their knowledge.

Also, stay on SSC 😎

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• as a developer you should have a good understanding of SQL server and TSQL, which is a bonus.

Moving to DBA, you should sit with an experienced DBA and work with him/her to get a feel for the difference in approaches between Dev and Admin.

It might also be a good idea to install a local free/dev copy of SQL Server on a non-production machine, even your own computer, and create, backup, test, break, fix etc....

Find out if there are User Groups in your area, and attend them, speak to the local DBA's, try to gain their knowledge.

Also, stay on SSC 😎

I am working in startup company which is just 3 years old,Here we dont have any dba's separately and we dev guys only do small dba works such as backup,bulk loading data and few other works.I have very good contacts with oracle dba guys and also much knowledge in oracle dba and having more ideas but not having real time experience.

Moreover i dont have any contacts to discuss or getting advice from outside.Thats why i seeking help from forum guys.Can anybody help me...

• If you don't mind an article I wrote, perhaps this will help you:

Getting Started in SQL Server[/url].

That should at least give you an idea of the keywords and general basic activities to be able to research in further.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply