sql server clustering basics clarification request

• hi,

i'm very new to clustering concepts,

Two nodes means two physical servers(Yes/No)?

Each physical server having the separate sql server instances. am i right?

what is shared storage in cluster environment? Please help me? is it another physical server having the shared storage for the both nodes(physical servers)

Kindly help me

Thanks,

🙂

• Two nodes means two physical servers(Yes/No)?

yes, number of node is number of server.

read this article thoroughly, very good article and easy understandable for beginners as well..

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/articles/clustering/sqlserver2000_clustering_install_main_p1.aspx

----------
    Ashish

• There are few Cluster topologies & the architecture depends on the topologies which you choose.

1. Two Node Cluster With Single SQL Server Instance(Active\Passive)

In this case you will have One Shared disk for SQL Server Instance & both the node will share that disk.

If a node fails another node will use that shared disk(SAN Disk).

2. Two Node Cluster With Two SQL Server Instance(Active\Active)

In this case you will have two shared disk for each SQL Server Instance & one for quorum.

• SQL* (9/23/2010)

hi,

i'm very new to clustering concepts,

Two nodes means two physical servers(Yes/No)?

No, you may also use virtual machines. See my tech article at this link for how to deploy a SQL server cluster using VMWare Server 2.0

SQL* (9/23/2010)

sort of! If you have multiple instances of SQL server with one running on each node\server it is an active\active cluster.

If all instances are active on one node\server then it is an active\passive cluster

SQL* (9/23/2010)

what is shared storage in cluster environment? Please help me? is it another physical server having the shared storage for the both nodes(physical servers)

Kindly help me

Thanks,

In reality it could be a storage array or NAS device, etc that is connected to both nodes\servers. My tech article uses FreeNAS to replicate network attached storage and connects to the nodes over iSCSI!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• thanks for your reply,

what exactly the virtual server is?

🙂

• SQL* (9/23/2010)

what exactly the virtual server is?

It's a virtual machine, this may be either HyperV, Vmware or any other hypervisor. These products allow you to run multiple virtual operating systems on a single host (physical) machine!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply