SQL Server Agent Job Errors

• Hey,

I was wondering if there is a way to view the error details of a job that failed in the SQL server agent.

When a job fails I normally check the Job History but all it says there (most of the time) is:

The Job Failed. The Job was invoked by Schedule....

So I right click SQl server agent to display the Error Log but it shows no errors matching the execution time have been logged.

How can find out what went wrong??

• Go more details by clicking "show step details".

If job is created by maintenance plan, trun on the reporting by check "write report to text file" in reporting tab.

• Thank you Allen!

• Even without a maintenance plan you can write the job steps to an output log.

• Yeah, To the Windows Application Event Log....Through the job's properties...

• Logging to the event log won't give you much information either.  If it's an operating system command (DTSRun) or a T-SQL step, the best way (IMHO) is to use the following steps to log job activity:

1. Open the job properties

2. Select the Steps tab

3. Click the Edit button for the step you want logged

4.  Click the Advanced tab

5  Use the Output file text box to select a location for a log file.

This will give you the most information about what occurred during that step of the job. The only drawback to this is is you have a job with a lot of steps, you have to select an output file for each step.

Ben

• Thanx Ben!

This certain job has one step...

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply