SQL Server 2016 on Windows Server 2016 Core - Error Accessing Configuration Manager

• Sue_H - Monday, April 16, 2018 8:09 AM

ryan.mcatee - Monday, April 16, 2018 7:44 AM

Curious to know if this solution worked for OP.  I am having the same problem and I didn't see any resolution on this thread.  My configuration is:

Windows Server Core
    SQL Server 2017 Enterprise

Trying to manage the server remotely or from a command prompt, but I am getting WMI error 0x8004100E.  MOF file solution did not fix my error message.

Ryan

Please post the error you got when running mofcomp? What is the complete error message when trying to connect using Configuration Manager ?
    Did you also run mofcomp using Run As Administrator? Run as administrator is not the same as being in the administrators group.

Sue

Facts:

* Same as OP, when attempting to connect to remote server through SQL Server Configuration:  "Connection failed.  Cannot connect to WMI provider. You do not have permission or the server is unreachable. Note that you can only manage SQL Server 2005 and later servers with SQL Server Configuration Manager. Invalid namespace [0x8004100e]"

* Same as OP, I received no error message running the mofcomp command, "MOF file has been successfully parsed/Storing data in the repository.../Done!".  Same as OP, it was run as administrator.

* Same as OP, the mofcomp command simply did not fix the WMI 0x8004100E error message.

I dredged this up only because I saw the solution posted, but no response saying whether it did or did not work.  In my case it did work.  I realize now that the solution was posted by OP, so maybe none of this was necessary.  :blush:

Ryan

• ryan.mcatee - Monday, April 16, 2018 8:30 AM

Sue_H - Monday, April 16, 2018 8:09 AM

ryan.mcatee - Monday, April 16, 2018 7:44 AM

Curious to know if this solution worked for OP.  I am having the same problem and I didn't see any resolution on this thread.  My configuration is:

Windows Server Core
    SQL Server 2017 Enterprise

Trying to manage the server remotely or from a command prompt, but I am getting WMI error 0x8004100E.  MOF file solution did not fix my error message.

Ryan

Please post the error you got when running mofcomp? What is the complete error message when trying to connect using Configuration Manager ?
    Did you also run mofcomp using Run As Administrator? Run as administrator is not the same as being in the administrators group.

Sue

Facts:

* Same as OP, when attempting to connect to remote server through SQL Server Configuration:  "Connection failed.  Cannot connect to WMI provider. You do not have permission or the server is unreachable. Note that you can only manage SQL Server 2005 and later servers with SQL Server Configuration Manager. Invalid namespace [0x8004100e]"

* Same as OP, I received no error message running the mofcomp command, "MOF file has been successfully parsed/Storing data in the repository.../Done!".  Same as OP, it was run as administrator.

* Same as OP, the mofcomp command simply did not fix the WMI 0x8004100E error message.

I dredged this up only because I saw the solution posted, but no response saying whether it did or did not work.  In my case it did work.  I realize now that the solution was posted by OP, so maybe none of this was necessary.  :blush:

Ryan

It comes up often enough that it was probably worth the post. Compiling the mof file using Run As Administrator works in almost all cases.
    You can get a slightly different error at times which is generally due to permissions on a registry key. You can find the access denied in the registry by running Process Monitor.

Sue

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply