SQL Server 2008 SP1, process blocked by itself?

• Hi, currently we have deployed a new application. (our environment is SQL Server 2008 EE x64 SP1 failover cluster). Today I have run sp_estimate_compression_savings on the biggest table of application which is approx 10 GB. The process did not finish for 1 hour so I clicked cancel on SSMS, it took a long time too, when I checked dm_exec_requests I saw that it is blocked by its own spid. I tried again a second sp_estimate_compression_savings but it stuck up the same way. I issued kill to both, they become KILLED/ROLLBACK but they are still there and now I have two processes stuck up as KILLED/ROLLBACK, status: suspended, blocking_session_id = its own id. Also wait types:

LCK_M_SCH_M16513138LCK_M_SCH_MOBJECT: 2:1370669618:0 11

In sys.dm_tran_locks, the session has 17 Sch_M lock on the same object in tempDB, 15 has different lock_partition_id and GRANT, 2 has lock_partition_id 0 one GRANT one WAIT. It seems the process is waiting for its own lock??

Anyone has encountered this situation? The only different thing I can say for this db is it has full-text indexes. Is there a way to resolve the locks, rollback the process?

This is a consolidated server and other apps are 7/24, we are not willing to reset it. Also I cannot detach the db because it doesn't go to SINGLE_USER state because of open sessions.

Best Regards,

Serter

• What you are describing sounds a lot like "intra-query parallel thread deadlocks". I am working on a similar problem..

CEWII

• I guess so too, any thoughts how to resolve it? Changed maxdop to 1, but no change..

• Are you encountering parallelism even you change it to MAXDOP1?

• No, I set it to 1, to see if the self blocking sessions will resolve, but no change..

• I have encountered this problem in SQL Server 2000 itself, but we could recycle the instace as there was a acceptable downtime for that application.

Is it possible to put the db in offline mode, I am not sure if there is blocking?

M&M

• looping Myself

Thanks

• Hello, any luck regarding this issue?

• Nope, sessions are still there in KILLED/ROLLBACK status, I think they will be until service restart.

• I did restart SQL Server when it was possible and issue seems to be resolved.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply