SQL Server 2008 R2 Free upgrade

• I just started reading about the R2 release, and I was wondering if that will be a free upgrade that we can apply to our existing 2008 servers, or if it is a new purchase that would have to be a new upgrade?

Thanks

• It's going to depend on the service contract you have with Microsoft. It may be a free upgrade per your contract or it may be added cost. It's not automatically a free upgrade for everyone.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Ok, Thanks. I guess I was wondering more about the functionality. Would there be something like free add on's that would allow us to maybe pick and chose some of the features that we could benefit from, without requiring us to run through an upgrade. They would be seen as 2 completely different senerio's by our change control process, so having some sort of ability to add to our existing instances would be more favorable with us, then what would be seen as an upgrade to them.

Thanks again

• Oh, sorry, I couldn't tell you. I haven't even seen a beta yet.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply