SQL Server 2008 migration to VMware (P2V Conversion)

• Can anyone help to find the CPU, Memory, I/O, Storage, Network documentation for multiple instances in VMware

We are planign to create new VMware sever on ESX and migrating several instances from differents server on the VMware.

We have SQL Standard Edition on VMware..

1) What are the hurdle to migrate data from SQL Enterprise Edition to Standard Edition?

2) What are the Capacity planing for New VMware server alogn with CPU, Memory, I/O, Storage, Network?

3) What could be the prominent problem that we have to solve during the process

I even do not have any idea , sio It will be great ehlp if someone will provide information

• niravbhat (6/7/2011)

Can anyone help to find the CPU, Memory, I/O, Storage, Network documentation for multiple instances in VMware

We are planign to create new VMware sever on ESX and migrating several instances from differents server on the VMware.

We have SQL Standard Edition on VMware..

1) What are the hurdle to migrate data from SQL Enterprise Edition to Standard Edition?

2) What are the Capacity planing for New VMware server alogn with CPU, Memory, I/O, Storage, Network?

3) What could be the prominent problem that we have to solve during the process

I even do not have any idea , sio It will be great ehlp if someone will provide information

1. Hurdles are in regards to features that you may have been using from Enterprise edition that won't be available in Standard edition. Data and code should be fine otherwise. You should take a look at this http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx to determine if you will have problems in that regard.

2. Capacity planning - Are you doing a single server to a single VM or will it be multiple servers to a single VM? If you are using SAN for Storage, you should be able to recreate LUNS based on your current LUN sizes that are assigned to SQL Server.

3. Prominent Problem - performance. Next would be a VM admin taking down vsphere without properly shutting down SQL Server.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• we are planing to migrate several instances from multiple server to VMware server. Do you need more information, I can give you. I need to note down that How much memory, storage, Netwrok, Disk I/O need on new VMware

Thank you for you reply Jason

• I am assuming you will use the VMWare tools to P2V these instances.

Some things you will need to know. The servers that are getting P2V'd (you don't P2V just an instance but a Server) - do they have just the default instance of SQL Server or do they have multiple instances of SQL Server?

Do you already have access to each of your servers? If So, you should check each one of them to find processor usage, how much memory and memory usage, how much storage is assigned to that server. Aggregate that information to determine the size of VMWare "farm" you will need to create.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• We have ESX server and have to create migrate instance from SQL enterprise edition to SQL standard edition on ESX server.

It si Cluster environment

they do have several instances in SQL server. I do not have acces of all server which i have to migrate it. They told me to create first documentation for the preparation for the SQL to VMware migration such

1) perquisite

2) hardware and software requirements

3) CPU

4) Memory

5) Storage (RAID 1 , 10, 5, 6 etc )

6) Network (what kind of switch and NIC's )

7) Disk I/O etc

Thank you Jason

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply