Sql Server 2008 Enterprise Evaluation Edition Expired!!

• I had a situation where the previous IT guy moronically loaded the ent eval version even though they had a licensed copy of SQL 2008 Standard and of course the Eval expired. The maintenance\upgrade option kept failing even after trying all sorts of solutions we found online. Called Microsoft support and it turns out there is a little known bug in the SISS that prevents the upgrade if you are already at SP1. We had to uninstall just the SISS, run the upgrade, then reinstall the SISS. Worked flawlessly after that.

• It is possible to upgrade expired SQL Server 2008 R2 Evaluation (Enterprise Edition) to SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition. I have done it.

As mentioned by someone previously, please check upgrade path first at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspx

Refer to url http://www.sqlcoffee.com/Troubleshooting073.htm for how to upgrade.

• Hello.

I have following issue:

- had/have 180 day SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise edition installed (not expired yet).

- have bought SQL Server 2008 R2 standard edition (volume licensing)

- have downloaded and extracted the key from the ISO file (defaultsetup.ini)

- have gone to 'Installation Center' -> 'Edition Upgrade' -> 'Product Key' . Have entered the key (it was accepted). Then I downgraded the software/instance installed. That ended succesfully.

Then to check, I repeated the procedure, at the screen with the 'Product Key' it is still saying 'Evaluation' (this is the active switch' and the field below 'product key' does not show the key I entered...

Is this normal? E.g. is the permanent key active?

If not normal, how to solve it?

Thanks,

Paul van der Zande

The Netherlands

• p.van.der.zande (9/26/2011)

how to solve it?

Put the DVD disc into the drive, run the setup and upgrade the existing instance. Ensure you have backups first.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hello Perry, thanks for your response.

I can not upgrade the instance via "Upgrade fro mSQL Server 2000/2005/2008" It says there is nothing to upgrade (the instance is already at 2008 R2 level).

I downgraded the instance/features already through "Edition Upgrade" (see above).

Where can I see whether it is actually running a evaluation license or a permanent license?

Thanks,

Paul.

• p.van.der.zande (9/26/2011)

"Upgrade fro mSQL Server 2000/2005/2008" It says there is nothing to upgrade (the instance is already at 2008 R2 level).

That is not how you change your SQL Server 2008 R2 edition. On the installer screen select "Maintenance" then select "Edition Upgrade"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry,

That's what I did (see 2 messages back). Edition Upgrade.

Buti have found the solution. The key is never valid there, next time you return in Edition upgrade it will still be in 'evaluation'.

In SQL management Studio, when selecting the instance, then 'properties' from the contextual menu, it will say the instance is a 'MS SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition (x64)' ... So no longer Enterprise.

So all is ok.

Thanks,

Paul van der Zande

AITAC B.V.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply