SQL Server 2008 + DPM 2010

• We are thinking of trying Microsoft DPM to replace our native SQL Server backup and disaster recovery plans and thought I would check on here to see if anyone was using it in production on any large databases (we currently have 1TB of data with many GBs log traffic/hour during our busiest hours). We are also about to set up Mirroring if this has any bearing on DPM so far as performance goes. My main concerns are as follows:

• 15 minutes is the smallest interval for log backups. We are fine with losing upto 15 minutes worth of data, however currently during maintenance windows we backup the log after each rebuild/reorganize. It looks like we lose the power to perform these scripted backups if we move to DPM?
  • Backup compression is a must, do we still have control over this with DPM?
  • We currently do daily Full backups, which are restored on another server for the purposes of CheckDB/validating the backup is good. Do we still have access to the Full backups with DPM or can it do integrity checks for us?
  • If you are using DPM and have had any issues what are they? Or if you would rule out DPM for any reasons what would they be?
  • Cheers,

Alex.

• Bump for the possibility of at least 1 response. Sorry!

• Alex,

Doesn't look as though you got a response to this, have you started using DPM yet? I was also recently asked to evaluate DPM2010. I'm finding it difficult to get good documentation on it though, although there is a lot for DPM2007. Some of the concerns I've seen in the older version were log shipping wasn't possible, reading tlogs wasn't possible, DPM could not backup anything less than in 15 intervals, and scheduling backup/refresh jobs were not as easy. I'm wondering if those issues are still there in the new release. I'm also wondering if integrity checks can be done before the backups, how difficult will it be to do my daily restores to my test environments.

If you know of any good reviews or documents on line, please let me know. I know Bret Ozar has an on line review, but again it's on DPM2007(if he has one on 2010 I haven't found it). I'm going to start playing with it this week and see how it goes. Hopefully some of the past issues have been resolved.

Thanks

Anita

Thanks!

• Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply