SQL Server 2005 SP 3

• Lynn Pettis (1/6/2009)

This may be a dumb question, how do I get to the files in the exe file? I've never had to do that before.

I don't know it by heart, but I found thise:

http://jeffreypalermo.com/blog/extract-an-msi-before-installing-it.-like-the-asp.net-mvc-rc-msi/

I thought you could also extract it using a parameter, but I cannot find a link to confirm it.

added...

http://thebackroomtech.com/2007/08/23/howto-extract-files-from-a-msi-file-using-the-windows-command-line/

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2557/vista_how_to_extract_content_from_msi_files/

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• ALZDBA (1/6/2009)

Lynn Pettis (1/6/2009)

This may be a dumb question, how do I get to the files in the exe file? I've never had to do that before.

http://jeffreypalermo.com/blog/extract-an-msi-before-installing-it.-like-the-asp.net-mvc-rc-msi/

I thought you could also extract it using a parameter, but I cannot find a link to confirm it.

added...

http://thebackroomtech.com/2007/08/23/howto-extract-files-from-a-msi-file-using-the-windows-command-line/

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2557/vista_how_to_extract_content_from_msi_files/

Would not let me as it is not an msi file but an exe file.

I have another idea, but I need to do a little more research in the log files first.

• I had a similar issue a while back trying to add components to a sql server installation and it turned out that the windows installer registry key for the sql server setup support files was not created during the previous SP2 install (It was installed on a cluster and the registry key were only created on one of the two nodes). The installer could not access the setup support files thus could not setup components that needed them. My fix was to Reinstall the Sql Server setup support files.

Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to post to get the best help[/url]

• Robert klimes (1/6/2009)

I had a similar issue a while back trying to add components to a sql server installation and it turned out that the windows installer registry key for the sql server setup support files was not created during the previous SP2 install (It was installed on a cluster and the registry key were only created on one of the two nodes). The installer could not access the setup support files thus could not setup components that needed them. My fix was to Reinstall the Sql Server setup support files.

Which setup support files did you have to reinstall, the previous version?

• I think they were the originals right off the CD.

Bob

• Since I am going from SP 2 to SP 3, would you try reloading SP 2 support files then retry the SP 3 install?

FYI, the SP 3 support files installed okay when I initially tried to install SP 3. I am having issues with the Database Engine (2 instances), SSIS, and the client tools. Everything else installed first time with SP 3. Yes, that means I have a slightly mixed installation, but everything is working fine.

• That's a little scary, Lynn, and I have no idea.

Have you called PSS on this?

• Not yet (calling PSS). I think things are working as what installed was the SQL Server Native Client and the SQLXML4.

Also, being a school district, I really need to exhaust all the "free" resources I can before going to my boss and asking to spend our tax-payers money on this (even if it is only $125 or $250).

What has me confused is that the install worked fine on the first server. I have one more thing to try, any way, and that is to unistall the named instance on the server. It was installed to provide a QA environment, but we aren't using it so that is viable option.

• As for whether you should install the SP2 or RTM support files or do it at all since it installed correctly i cant say because me situation was not exactly the same as yours but I don't think it will cause any issues if you install from CD(RTM). There does appear to be an issue that is causing the installer to look for the patches in a location they do not exist in which from my previous experience in in the registry.

I would suggest looking at any setup related registry keys(I dont know which ones off hand) on both DWDEV01 and DWDEV02 to see if there are any discrepancies. On a hunch try searching for d:\8b33a48bd47ce6d1e3c8cf13 in registry, which is path that it is trying to use to install from.

Bob

• the registry path this would be located in is

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\patches

Bob

• Lynn Pettis (1/6/2009)

Winrar can do....

--Ramesh

• Lynn Pettis (1/6/2009)

ALZDBA (1/6/2009)

Lynn Pettis (1/6/2009)

added...

Would not let me as it is not an msi file but an exe file.

I have another idea, but I need to do a little more research in the log files first.

I just had a little chat with one of our windows gurus and guess what ....

just use SQLServer2005SP3-KB955706-x86-ENU.exe -x

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I have ran across this several times with SP2 on client machines...

Is your sql update failing because of missing files?

1)Be sure to check out the logs in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix.

2)Sort the directory by date so you can easily find the most recent logs.

3)You will find a log for each component being updated, similar to the following: SQLTools9_Hotfix_KB953752_sqlrun_sql.msp.log.

In this case someone cleaned out the %windir%\installer directory. This directory holds two types of files: .msi (original install file) and .msp (patch files).

When you look at the logs, you will notice lines similar to the following:

MSI (s) (C0:18) [23:08:32:843]: Warning: Local cached package 'C:\WINNT\Installer\a79ffc9e.msi' is missing.

MSI (s) (C0:18) [23:08:34:625]: Opening existing patch 'C:\WINNT\Installer\a79ffd98.msp'.

MSI (s) (C0:18) [23:08:34:718]: Opening existing patch 'C:\WINNT\Installer\64ef1.msp'.

MSI (s) (C0:18) [23:08:34:718]: Note: 1: 2203 2: C:\WINNT\Installer\64ef1.msp 3: -2147287038

MSI (s) (C0:18) [23:08:34:718]: Couldn't find local patch

The first section means that we are missing the original installation media file. To fix this we need to copy the sqlrun_tools.msi from the installation source to c:\winnt\installer. Once this is completed, rename it to the file the installer is looking for: in this case it should be renamed a79ffc9e.msi.

Now take a look at the installed patches for sql and what version it is currently running. You will need to download these updates. In this example, SP2 and cumulative update 2 was installed. You will then need to extract the files from the patches. This is accomplished by running the patch file (some_patch.exe) from the command prompt with the /extract switch. You will then be prompted to extract the files to a directory location. Once they are extracted, copy the sqlrun_tools.msp to c:\winnt\installer directory. Now rename it to the filename found in the log. In this case the sp2 file should be renamed to a79ffd98.msp. Then the cumulative update 2 file should be copied and renamed 64ef1.msp. Once this is completed for all affected products you are ready to try your install again.

***This was an old box so most will actually use c:\windows\installer instead of c:\winnt\installer

• jncarter,

Thank you for the time you took with your response. Unfortunately, I don't think it applies in this case. I just finished search the log files for a similiar message as you suggested, and I'm not finding that in any of my logs. I have looked through the Windoes/installer directory manually, and everything appears to be there from previous updates to SQL Server.

Please, if you have any other ideas, let me know.

Again, thank you.

• Hey Lynn,

Have you tried my suggestion?

--Ramesh

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply