SQL SERVER 2005 Mirroring Proof of Concept

• I am working on a proof of concept to take to our Technical Board. 

This POC is concearned with SQL server 2005 Mirroring for High Availability and Failover in a Highly Critical business sector. 

The problem is that we use custom web pages to give the Operations Center an overview of the status of the system and that there are so many metrics available (not may are well documented). I have looked at the following

sys.database_mirroring_witnesses

is_suspended                     to show the state of the Sync

database_name                  to return the name of the mirrored database

safety_level_desc               to show that the Safety level is at Full

Principal_server_name      to show the name of the Principal server

Mirror_server_name           to Show the Name of the Mirror Server.

I am at a loss as to what is the best approach as I do not want to display too much Information and confuse.

The Servers are locked down to remove any permissions not required so I have to create a SQL account with only acces to the required sys views.  one issue is that the following SQL only works on the Principal

Code Snippet

Select * from sys.database_mirroring where mirroring_guid is not null

The Principal returns

Code Snippet

7 267CF8D3-8066-44EA-84BD-B7EA25C3F779 4 SYNCHRONIZED 2 MIRROR 20 2 FULL 1 TCP://DNGLHRSQL051.XX.XX.XXX:5022 DNGLHRSQL051 TCP://LHRSQL029.XX.XXX.XXX:5023 1 CONNECTED 40000000010300001 10 NULL UNLIMITED

where the Mirror will return nothing..

The configuration of the User is identical on both Principal and Mirror and is as follows

Master  Public

MSDB   Public, dbm_monitor

I have read that the User also requires "view any Database" but on the Mirror this database is not available on the Mirror as it is in Sync.

Is this an undocumented Feature?

Any help greatly appreciated

Regards

Andy

• What I Meant to ask is how is everyone else monitoring their Mirror Configuration and what should I look out for

Andy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply